News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Town Hall  (Read 32311 times)

John38

Re: Chatham Town Hall
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 17:54:29 »
I love these old buildings!

yaffaw1

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 14:31:52 »
Here's my postcard of the Town Hall. The postcard was sent on 13.12.06. It seems there are no gates in this one.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2014, 09:34:26 »
AlanH now that brings back memories of the taxi service that was inside the Town Hall, often used on my social studies of interaction in public houses  :)
***I am still the child within***

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 08:24:25 »
Great pub the Army and Navy back in the 60s and 70s. As a taxi driver that used the rank in Whiffens Ave next to the town hall I used to pop in there for a quick one on quiet days.
The Hackney Carriage Inspector as he was then known, Arthur Crouch an ex chief inspector of Police, had his office through a door into the town hall right next to the rank and he definitely would not have approved of such behaviour. :)
AlanH.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 13:34:28 »
I`m sure you`re correct, Rochester-bred. It was just a vague memory.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 11:21:00 »
Bryn Clinch, I just wondered if you may have meant the building across the small road next to the town hall, also an old building. It was called The Army and Navy pub in my days (70s/80s) and had a cellar we called The Cabin where you could also drink downstairs. It`s called Churchills now.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 09:39:21 »
I seem to remember, the only time that I went into the Town, that there was some sort of Pub there, either on the ground floor or basement - I think the tables were empty barrels. Of course, my memory may be playing tricks as there was a pub in Tenterden that had a similar décor - it`s a very long time ago, probably 1950s.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:09 »
I remember going up the side of the town hall (right side looking at picture) to a door going down inside a ramp walkway to pay my rent inside many years ago.

Offline Clankypup

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 21:01:11 »
When did the council stop using the Town Hall building? I can remember attending functions there in the late 1970s. Lots of teens and early twenties and alcohol served from a bar.

Also the halls were Empire (large) and Globe (small). Possibly named after Chatham's old theatres?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2013, 23:30:41 »
Pretty sure those "gates" are in the foreground on the corner of Military road.

Take a look at this comparison, the building on the right in the colour picture is completely different to what was actually there. In fact it looks as though there has been some hefty retouching going on - to the extent that some things have been completely altered or misinterpreted.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 23:11:09 »
They are there in the 1908 photo opf this post, but not in earlier or later ones:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4412.msg88468#msg88468
The 1907 map of Chatham shows an 'open' road next to the Town Hall  - strange!
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 19:52:56 »
Never noticed this before. Large gates to the right of the picture of the Town Hall.

merc

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 11:52:14 »
Wednesday, January 24, 1900

Lord Rosebery on Tuesday opened a new town-hall with municipal offices at Chatham. The building which has cost £22,000, is a handsome edifice in the English Renaissance style, surrounded by Fort Amherst, Cornwallis Battery and the centre of town. Lord Rosebery, having been met at the station by the Mayor, was driven to the town-hall, where presented with its key, he unlocked the outer gate, entered the building, and unveiled a memorial tablet. Replying to a vote of thanks, Lord Rosebery said the town had done well to embody the arms of Pitt in those of Chatham. It was a noble and praiseworthy thing to have done. It showed that Chatham was determined to maintain its connection with the statesman who had carried England's name more triumphantly over the globe than ever other he could mention.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 07:25:07 »
I remember a fire / air raid type siren mounted up there for quite a while. There was also a small taxi rank in Whiffen's Avenue with a phone and extension bell for the taxi drivers. I also remember Highfield Boys school having their speech days in the theatre.
Derek Brice

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 18:22:29 »
I've noticed that in all pre-WWII photographs of the Town Hall there is a bell present in the tower. In all post-WWII photos that I have seen it is absent, and has been for as long as I can remember. Was it removed during the war to be melted down for its bronze content? If not, what happened to it? I assume that it must have been rung on the hour whilst it was still in place - can anyone ever remember hearing it?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines