News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Town Hall  (Read 32278 times)

Geoff B

Re: Chatham Town Hall
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 10:42:43 »
and some more

[attachment deleted by admin]

Geoff B

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 23:48:23 »
I thought I would add these last few pictures of the Old Town Hall area in the snow of 2010, just before they started to build the bus station for completeness.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 09:55:41 »
A nice picture taken from Town Hall Gardens

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 23:33:53 »
I was an engineer in the offices in Whiffens Avenue in the early 80s and went into the basement of the Town Hall sometimes, spare furniture was dumped stored there. IIRC there was a hoist over the back stairwell but we sometimes just dropped furniture down the middle!

There was also a stairwell in the front RH corner of the basement which had a manhole cover held down by an Acrow prop off the ceiling to stop the basement flooding in heavy rain.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 08:46:52 »
In one room in the basement there was a huge wooden Chatham Corporation plaque detailing the Mayors of Chatham. I wonder what became of it?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:19 »

I worked in the offices in Whiffens Avenue late 70's for a while, the borough engineers had their drawing offices there. Occasionally I got to go over to the Town Hall to look for planning applications, etc. that were located in an office in the basement. I found it quite fascinating and spent quite a bit of time wandering around exploring. Thankfully, no one ever asked when I got back why it used to take me so long to find things. :)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 19:07:01 »
When I joined Chatham Corporation's Borough Treasurer's Department in August 1971, the Town Hall had The Mayor's office, the Borough Surveyor's, Borough Architect's and the Town Clerks Department as its occupants. In 1972, the Borough Surveyor's and Architect's moved into new purpose built offices at the rear of the Town Hall in Whiffens Avenue (now a car park).

Following Local Government re-organisation in April 1974 it was used by the new Medway Borough Council (I left in July 1974) and by the time I rejoined in December 1975, it  was solely occupied by the Housing Department; part of our section being located in the old Council Chamber upstairs.( Incidently, my mother worked in the Town Hall just after the war, for Chatham Corporation's Housing Department.) The Housing Advice Centre was located in the temporary shops in Paddock Gardens and later moved into the buildings in Whiffens Avenue.

Over the next three years we were moved around the building to different offices (including another stint in the Council Chamber) while modifications and conversions were completed to create extra office space and to enlarge the cashier's office and create a strong room.

In the early part of 1984, the proposed move to centralised offices was raised (one suggestion was the building of new accommodation on St Margaret's Banks in Rochester High Street) This was abandoned due to costs and a proposed move to Mountbatten House was narrowly defeated by Councillor's voting on the issue, for the second time. The previous occasion was in 1973 during the planning for re-organisation.

In late 1984, the offices of Wingets in Strood were acquired and converted for Council use and in the middle of October 1985, we transferred to the The Civic Centre; thus ending 85 years of use as a Council Building for Local Government. The Civic Centre was all very nice but I missed the character and the atmosphere that the Town Hall had.  It stood empty for some time before becoming the Brook Theatre.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 15:14:23 »
Highfield Boys School used to have their speech days in the Town Hall Theatre. I also remember in the 1980s going to a Paul Savage Stage Band concert.
Derek Brice

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 11:00:41 »
Charles Day, Surveyor to the Board of Public Health designed the Fire Station so that would tie in with smiffy's post of Oct 15th.

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 04:17:34 »
It always pays to look up, wherever you are - as a serious photographer it's surprising what's above the eyeline
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 20:21:53 »
 :)
And how often do any of us look up ! Never knew they were there either.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 19:51:51 »
I'd never noticed them Kyn. It's amazing what you miss even if you see buildings on a daily basis. Perhaps they're former councillors! :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 19:31:09 »
Has anyone noticed how many faces decorate this building?
These are just from the rear wall, facing Fort Amherst.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 22:49:16 »
I suppose that makes sense Smiffy. If seems it took two years to complete the new town hall, so if it was on the same site they'd have had nowhere to meet during that time!  :)

I didn't have time to consult any maps this afternoon. I was supposed to be doing something else, but got distracted by the forum!!!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 15:34:40 »
There were no buildings present on the site previous to the building of the Town Hall. I have, however, found a building marked as "Munl. Offices" on a 1898 map on the opposite side of the road, next to the old Fire Station in Military Road. This must be the Board of Health premises mentioned in the quote.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines