News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pentagon Shopping Centre, Chatham  (Read 148691 times)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Re: Pentagon Shopping Centre, Chatham
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 12:51:40 »
Talking Of Boots, as a child I was absolutely amazed that you would walk in the entrance in Military Road but come out of a door in the High Street.
I can't remember the exact location of the shop entrances, but presumably the 'layout' is still there - H samuels on the corner is still quite a narrow shop in depth.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:25 »
Here's the Kellys Directory entry for Military Road in 1973. Shows the businesses running on the Paddock. Then compare the East side with the Kellys entry of 1967

Definitely lost a lot of businesses in the 70's, the only one that I can remember actually going into the Pentagon was Boots the Chemist.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2010, 11:11:59 »
It was exactly the same in 1964 as the last pic. We had our wedding reception in the restaurant in the Paddock, the first they'd had there, guess who tripped up on the hem of her wedding dress trying to get out of the car on a busy saturday afternoon with people queuing for their buses  :) my face matched the floor inside RED 'CARDINAL' polish didn't do much for the dress either.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Merv

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 16:25:57 »
Weird is't it, must be a generation thing.
I find the Penatgon souless to be honest, just a place to park and get out of as soon has possible.
I believe the problems they have of keeping stores reflects that has being a general opinion.
Chatham prior to that was buzzing, lots of small shops and charaters.
A few weeks back we were in Chatham and we were watching a "Native American Band"(not real ones 2 are from San Antonio Texas :)), they said if anyone wanted to buy there C.D to be quick because the Police were going to confiscate there equipment because they didn't have a licence or the correct paperwork.
>Low and behold a police car buzzed them several times while we were there.
Yet ignored to Dossers begging for money with cans of Tennants export.
The Band play at festivals all over Europe.
Chatham overall these days is cold and souless to what it once was.

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 16:11:18 »
The holes are there blocked up but no walkway - post updated with picture (taken today on mobile, theres dedication for you!)
The U shaped bit is where the walkway spanned across

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 11:10:41 »
Walkway was definitely open mid to late '70's.

Sorry, I didn't realize it had gone now, when you step out of the Wilkinsons lift in the underground car park, the gates are to the right-hand side. I presumed they still led to it.

kevin9522

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 10:53:10 »
Did they ever have the walkway open I remember trying to get into it once and it was always locked.

I used to go out with a girl who worked in the restaraunt downstairs on the way out to the old brook pumping station and when she got out of work all the doors were locked up so we had to try and fine either an open door or a way to get to the car park. definately not a nice place  to walk around in the dark

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 10:18:00 »
no the walkway isnt there, it got taken down about 6 months ago, they shut the road to do it.  Just the road bridge left now.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 09:53:23 »
Sadly, I was a teenager in the mid 70's when the Pentagon opened.

Me & my mate used to go down there every evening after school & explored every nook & cranny of the place. I'm pretty sure they opened it once a few of the 'big' stores (Boots, W H Smith, C & A etc.) had set up in there, so it wasn't that busy.

On our look around the car parks (I told you we explored everywhere :)), we found that the bridge from Rope Walk across The Brook had a pedestrian walkway underneath. Absolutely pointless bit of information, but at the time we figured that knowing something that most people didn't was fantastic :)

The walkway is still there but is now gated & chained at the car park end.

flower411

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 09:28:54 »
Hmmm this is bringing back vague memories.

Wasn`t the bus level opened before the shops? If you had to catch a bus in the evening you had to come in to the centre at the Military Road entrance and walk through the unfinished centre and up the ramps to catch a bus.

Seem to remember it all being a bit scary, but thinking back we were probably the scariest things in there !!!!

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 09:19:53 »
Yes Tandays (the UK branch of Radio Shack), it used to be in the High Street between Iceland and the TV shop but moved into the Pentagon. I used to love that shop , I used to fix electrical gadgets like radios by replacing burnt out resistors etc that you could buy off the shelf in there. Now we just throw things away and buy a new one
Thats making me sound old now but I was only born in the 70's.

Numanfan, why were you hanging around with the teenagers in the upper level, surely you too old for that by then???  :) :)

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 09:03:09 »
I remember 'hanging about' in the pentagon and doing much the same, congregating by the handrails with friends as the folks shopped about in C&A and the Co-Op and that was only 10 years ago, I used to love going in Tandys, (I think it was called, next to Sainsbury) when that was about and having a look at the gadgets. Oh how things have changed.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 08:58:49 »
Saturdays in the Pentagon was like a giant youth club. I think most teenagers headed down there, just to meet up. That was the time you were allowed to stand in groups on the upper level, looking down towards the lower level. It was so packed by the handrail  you had to wait to find a space.

And yet there was no trouble or people being intimidated, maybe kids were more respectful then?? (apart from a couple of brothers spitting on people going up the escalators - about 25 years ago :) - allegedly!)

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 08:35:13 »
Isnt the memory weird, I had completely forgotten about the ramp bit, but as soon as it was mentioned it brought back a whole flood of childhood memories about shopping with the family.  :)
We used to use the newsagents up the top, my mum would drag us up the ramp, 3 boys and a baby girl in the pram. I couldnt shop with 4 kids, I cant cope with the 1 I have now!
At the top of the ramp (at some point in time) was an electrical type shop that sold lightbulbs, radios, blank tapes, hoover bags etc etc. All of it cheap rubbish, the sort of pound shop of its day.

I also remember the escalators were over by the side of Sainsburys, infront of the Blue Grotto, where the coffee shop is now. I got told off by a security guard with my brother for allegedly spitting down the top onto people coming up (untrue of course) - 25 years ago and I can still hear his Yorkshire accent scalding us, lol

As for the Blue Grotto , as kids we were under the illusion (from school gossip) that it was a gay bar and that if we walked past it we would get dragged in. I never went near it and was too scared to go to the public toilets nearby. I remember the bar being called Cheers later on in its life, with the same logo as the US comedy.

Mentioning C&A that is now Wilkinsons, the lifts in Wilkos used to be lifts to the Top level car park and the bus station - In the bus station you can still see the ramp and bricked up doorway where the entrance was - I think they must have just turned the lifts around and made a new doorway in Wilkos.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 23:04:58 »
I think you are right, it was on the lefte hand side of the passgae way as you faced it but was a long thin shop and a bit dingy! I never used it much preffering Boots cos my mum got a discount there. Whilst we are at it, do you remember 'Scamps' night club where the bowling alley is now? And the Blue Grotto where the dry cleaners is?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines