News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pentagon Shopping Centre, Chatham  (Read 155753 times)

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 4
Re: Pentagon Shopping Centre, Chatham
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2011, 06:51:05 »
Not too many years after the opening of the Pentagon, my school (Woodlands Secondary) organised a visit, that would have been IIRC about 1977/78.  Of particular interest was the security control room which we were allowed to visit.  I seem to recall it was accessed from lifts via the entrance to the taxi-rank.  It was several floors up, and seemed very large (at the time), with a large number of CCTV monitors covering all of the inside and outside of the Pentagon.  I wonder if that still exists.

The control room is in the management suite on the 3rd Floor. There are loads of offices and a conference room all branching off a large reception area. The green lifts go there but the scenic lifts need a security key.
Derek Brice

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2011, 22:40:17 »
Not too many years after the opening of the Pentagon, my school (Woodlands Secondary) organised a visit, that would have been IIRC about 1977/78.  Of particular interest was the security control room which we were allowed to visit.  I seem to recall it was accessed from lifts via the entrance to the taxi-rank.  It was several floors up, and seemed very large (at the time), with a large number of CCTV monitors covering all of the inside and outside of the Pentagon.  I wonder if that still exists.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2011, 22:31:32 »
The Blue Lifts were double ended and were located close to the pushchair/wheelchair ramp and served all floors. Green lifts were near to Sainsburys, and as you said, Red Lifts were near the Grill. The Green lifts had the 1st floor blocked off to customers although I understand the doors are still there hidden in the middle of a shop and they can be unlocked in an emergency. I don't know the colour of the Wilkinsons lift. The Blue Lifts are now blocked off although the shafts are still there.
Am I the only person who thinks the new Pentagon sound system does not sound as nice as the old one did? Those long white speakers in Pentagon Square aren't too bad but those plastic box ones above the false ceiling in the malls sound awfull.
Derek Brice

farthingcornerservices

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2011, 20:20:34 »
Its possible!  Purple stairs.  So many hidden areas in the old layout of the centre.

davidt

« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2011, 22:58:47 »
I thought it was Purple Stairs that came out next to Jones of Chatham, newsagents on the ground floor. That was where we always parked. Jones also had a smaller shop as well, upstairs by the bus station.

farthingcornerservices

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2011, 22:19:15 »
Red lifts near the Pentagon Grill
Blue Lifts that came out into the bus station, now Wilkinson's (turned around the doors in the lift so you exited out into the shop!)  Although they did this when they had a small range of kiosk type shops, including a hairdressers called L'image.
Brown or Yellow lifts - next to Jones of Chatham (possibly a card shop)
Green lifts near Sainsbury's.

I think I have the colours correct.

farthingcornerservices

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2011, 22:13:50 »
The animals consisted of a snake, In front of WHSmiths, where BBs is now, a whale and a snail.

Its interesting how large the main bit is with the fountain.  Adding escalators and glass lifts added nothing really.

twistedpretender

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2011, 14:47:00 »
Oh my word that takes me back. I remember going into the Pentagon when it first opened in 1975. As I recall there were lots of empty units then - a bit like now in fact! It's rather sad to see how the Pentagon and Chatham town centre has declined over the years.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2011, 14:06:25 »
Upstairs in front of what is now the Wilkinson store once C & A's was a carousel of small counter shops
I worked in the costume jewellery one for a while and also had my ears pierced there.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2011, 12:43:19 »
That looks like a Nautilus. A sea creature if immense heritage dating back beyond the Dinosaurs.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

davidt

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2011, 12:39:30 »
Someone mentioned that the wooden animals were a snail (as shown in the picture), a snake and one other. I think the third one might have been a crocodile - at least that's what it looked like to me when I was about 7!

davidt

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2011, 08:26:02 »
I found the other picture!

darrenh

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2011, 01:29:28 »
goosebumps, that was me on those toddler reins on several occasions!

the decor is bonkers, its so 70s its almost like a caricature.

great pictures !

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2011, 00:38:44 »

So it's been refurbished now? It's been a long time since I was there, I prefer to remember it in it's brown and orange glory!

Fantastic photos!  :)

davidt

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2011, 00:13:16 »
I wanted to share some postcard views with you all. I think these date back to the 1980s. They may bring back some memories.

I thought I had one showing the wooden animals previously referred to in the main topic. I've just had a hunt around but can't find it. I'll post it on here if it comes to light again.

Someone said that they thought the refurb was in the early 90s. I think it may have been the late 80s as I started work in Mountbatten House in September 1991 and I'm sure the refurb had already happened before that.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines