News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochesters' Shopping Arcade  (Read 2537 times)

a.p.c.

Re: Rochesters' Shopping Arcade
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:12 »
Back in the late 80s i worked for a number of building contractors who under took a lot of renovation,refurbishment and conversion into flats, mainly at the bridge end of the high st. About 1988/99 we noticed another building contractor started work on the shops in victoria st which were adjacent to where Barclays bank is now,they seemed to be making a big improvement to some of the properties there, which for years had stood run down and derelict,and i think the plan was to develope behind the shops ,which is now a carpark,if you look there is a kind of mews access to the back of the shops, i pressume this was going to be one of the access to the proposed shops,however it seemed to come to a stand still and virtually overnight the builders dissapeared,i can only pressume (1) they ran out of money(2)planners changed ther minds on the viability of a shopping precinct with chatham next door and the soon to be bluwater on the horizon or (3)or the problem with Rochester being a historic city ect to build on the land you have deal fact that the site will have to be excavated and recorded by the archeologists,and in most cases it used to be the builder\develper who would have to finance that as well.just my theory though.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Rochesters' Shopping Arcade
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 21:44:58 »
Twenty years ago, developers & councillors were all for it

It was supposed to have its' grand opening in 1991. Anyone know what happened to stop it?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines