News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newly Found VC man with Kent (Charing) Connections!  (Read 3543 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Re: Newly Found VC man with Kent (Charing) Connections!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 20:37:23 »
I am glad there are people out there that are researching and finding more out about these men!

A local newspaper may be happy to do a story with your information?

neil clark

Newly Found VC man with Kent (Charing) Connections!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 17:41:37 »
I thought this may be of interest to some of you. Pity it's Charing because they already have a VC headstone in their cemetery (care of my work) - Captain Ronald Neil Stuart VC,DSO,RD,RNR.

The Charing parish council were very unhelpful almost obstructive to me when I was trying to get funding for the headstone. I don't really know what to do with this new information? Any ideas gladly received. I have no wish to let the parish council take credit for finding the mans connection. Most locals are already under the impresson it was the Parish Council that got Ronald Neil Stuart'
s old insulting headstone replaced with a MoD pattern VC headstone.

This is pretty groundbreaking stuff for those interested in Kent VC's. Yet another man with Kent links with a proven connection...

FREDERICK GEORGE COPPINS VC

COPPINS, Frederick George
Corporal 8th Battalion Manitoba Regiment C E F.
London Gazetted on 27th September 1918.
Born on 25th October 1889 at London.
Died on 13th March 1963 at Livermore, California, USA.
Memorials at Greenlawn Cemetery, Colma, near San Francisco, California, USA.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th August, 1918 at Hackett Woods, near Amiens, France, Corporal Coppins' platoon came unexpectedly under fire of numerous machine guns. It was not possible to advance or retire and there was no cover. Corporal Coppins, calling on four men to follow him, leapt forward in the face of intense machine-gun fire and rushed straight for the guns. The four men with him were killed a
nd he was wounded, but going on alone, he killed the operator of the first gun and three of the crew and took four prisoners. Despite his wound, he then continued with his platoon to the final objective.

1901 census
Name: Frederick Coppins
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Joseph
Where born: Charing, Kent, England
Frederick George Coppins was a Corporal in the 8th Battalion Winnipeg Rifles, was awarded the VC on August 9 1918. He was born in East Kent in 1889. Emigrated to Canada before the war and returned there afterwards and he eventually died in 1963.

1891 census
Name: Fredk G Coppins
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Joseph
Mother's Name: Mary A
Where born: Charing, Kent, England

Enlisted into 1st Battalion D Coy RWK Regiment on 30th December 1907 at Maidst
one, Kent.
Aged 18 years and 2 months and his occupation was a farm labourer.
His father is listed as Joseph, also a brother Joseph in RAMC, Singapore.
Another brother is Albert.

He passed away in the VA Hospital in Livermore, California, at the age of 73. His funeral service was attended by representatives of The Royal Canadian Legion, the Last Post Fund and Canada?s consul general.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines