News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hempstead Valley Shopping Centre  (Read 47698 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Hempstead Valley Shopping Centre
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2017, 14:09:12 »
Maybe just a little off the thread but I think you might find it interesting. I met Dave Proust many years later, he was looking old & walking with a stick as he had bad arthritis. He told me that he had been Mr. Gt. Britain prior to Garth Vader & had entered for Mr. Universe. Didn't win & was told - as an aside - by one of the judges, " you'll never win with feet like that"!

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 14:52:19 »

Dave Prowse as Darth Vader at Hempstead Valley, 1983?

(Image removed from quote.)

My family were actually THERE at the time this Darth Vader appearance happened!  :)

I personally don't remember it myself, but my father and my older brother do. My father says that even though it was just a costume, he was actually quite INTIMIDATED to see walking around. :)

In case your wondering, they're not in the picture by the way. :)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2013, 08:38:30 »
My Mrs worked there in a restaurant when it opened and I was supposed to pick her up at the end of her shift. Trouble was I nearly always spent a few hours in the Queens Head in Wigmore beforehand and my arrival time at the Savacentre to pick her up could be a bit erratic.
Never mind, walking home in the cold and wet toughened her up.......... :)
AlanH.

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 15:18:21 »

Now, does anyone have photos of the area before the shopping centre was built?

silkenrobe

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23:20 »

I work in Sava when it opened, on the checkout tills.
No scanning in those days, oh no.  Had to memorise many codes that applied to the product. To an age, and believe me, customers are not very happy waiting in the queues.

Same here, although not when it first opened

We were taught how to 'touch type' when I was till trained and I could certainly enter a price on the number pad then you had to hit the department it came from - I was pretty quick and can still use a number pad without looking :)
It was some how more personal checking out this way in stores

Starboyx23

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 23:02:43 »
Any pics of the other, larger water feature / fountain from outside Sainsbury's?

YoungNan

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 16:04:12 »

I work in Sava when it opened, on the checkout tills.
No scanning in those days, oh no.  Had to memorise many codes that applied to the product. To an age, and believe me, customers are not very happy waiting in the queues.

Galgo23

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:38 »

Hollands

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 17:58:20 »
A map of the area shortly before construction of the shopping centre.

Where did you find the map Galgo?

sturoberts1975

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 10:30:26 »
There is a small display on the history of Hempstead Valley shopping centre, it is located at the top of the stairs from the underground car park (Close to Sainsburys and Clinton cards) I was there Wednesday morning, sadly did not have time to stop and browse

Galgo23

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 18:41:57 »
A map of the area shortly before construction of the shopping centre.

Galgo23

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 20:02:37 »
An aerial view of the area taken in the 1960s. Wigmore is on the right, Hoath Way is being built in the middle and Hempstead Valley is on the left.

Photo obtained from NA3T Transport Photos. http://www.transportphotos.com/road/photo/GM00171-07

Galgo23

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:58 »
Well, whilst I find your story more amusing. The time I met Mr Vader I also met Mr Prowse as well, in fact I still have the signed photo to prove it. That was certainly 1983-4, around the time of Return of the Jedi anyhow. However that photo could possibly date from another appearance circa 1980, as performed by an NSS Saturday boy!

Mr. Ron

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:50 »
RE: Dave Prowse as Darth Vader at Hempstead Valley, 1983?

I'm afraid not. Me and some friends were sat to the side of where this photo was taken (was it really 1983?). I remember us all falling about laughing because the chap in the suit was obviously not the real deal. He's was stood on a raised platform in the photograph.

The advertising was very careful if I recall - meet "Darth Vadar" the signs said!. Well this guy was rather shorter and definitely hadn't seen a gym.

Ok, he wasn't a midget but he was obviously nowhere near as tall as the 6'5"-6'7" Dave Prowse was at the time. Don't forget we remembered him as the Green Cross Code Man also.

The killing blow was seeming "imposter Vadar" half an hour later nipping through one of the double doors to the staff area and being loudly acknowledged, by name, by his Savacentre colleagues. Even the sceptic in our crowd had to concede we were right.

Shame on you Savacentre - getting a chap in your stockroom to dress up just to flog toys. At least Bentalls had the real Dr Who!.

rainhamhistory

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2010, 19:02:52 »
For anyone local to Hempstead Valley there are currently a few boards outside Sainsburys (near the key cutting shop) with photos of the construction and opening along with various events that took place in the late 1970s and 1980s.

I'm hoping that I'll get a full list of the original shops from the photos and info that was there.

Andy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines