News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hempstead Valley Shopping Centre  (Read 47706 times)

johnnyt93

Re: Hempstead Valley Shopping Centre
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 21:06:35 »
Used to love going to the savacentre as a kid loved watching the big fish in the pond. Naughty kids (not me ahem) used to chuck the filling of the plant pots into the pond and the fish would eat it, wonder how they survived that long!

Going to the upstairs room of NSS on saturdays to spend my pocket money on toys is another memory I have. Having a take away at the food court was a real treat back then, oh how times have changed!

Galgo23

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 17:08:15 »
I think when it first opened it was closed Sunday AND Monday, I think i've got one of those keyrings with the opening times too!

Offline PaulG

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2010, 23:19:06 »
Savacentre Ltd
Hours was
Sunday closed
Monday to Saturday
8:30am to 8pm

That was when I started in 1988

the petrol station had a tyre fitting bay,
(i remember where Shoe Save where Clintons now ) was Fads but b4 that it was the savacentre's nonfood / garden centre.
when i get more time i will list more
Night all

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2010, 23:05:34 »
And I have a keyring somewhere with the opening times on. Amazing how early such a big place closed looking back, we take for granted the 24/7 opening hours now. 
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Galgo23

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2010, 22:41:36 »
Hehe, I've still got some old Savacentre badges!  :)

pants

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 20:49:58 »
Someone mentioned earlier about Safeway used to be in there and they are correct.. Believe it or not i'm only 29 but remember this!!

It started out as Presto then went to safeway and it used to be where BHS is now.  I use to shop there with mum and remember it well, quite small supermarket but it was there for sometime. 
Other shops i remember where Shoe Save where Clintons now is and Our Price.  Can't remember anymore at the moment but sure if any one else asks anything it will jog my memory.
I'm sure i have an old Savacentre badge somewhere that i got there when i was small!!

Galgo23

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 20:46:15 »

Dave Prowse as Darth Vader at Hempstead Valley, 1983?

Galgo23

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 23:01:57 »
Another one for your pleasure. The Savacentre petrol station in the late 1970s. For you classic car spotters, from left to right, Vauxhall Viva (?), Morris Marina, Triumph 2000, and a Ford Capri. Is that a Rover P6 poking it's nose in?

Galgo23

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 17:55:09 »
Here's a later aerial shot (mid-late 1980s?) after the area around the centre became more developed.

Galgo23

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 17:50:49 »
Some 1970s boy racer has pranged their Anglia here.

Galgo23

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 17:38:31 »
Another interesting artefact from around the time of the centres opening in 1978. Interesting aerial shot too, if only it was a bit bigger.

seafordpete

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 10:45:06 »
One of mine lads has an autographed PC of him from there to,

Galgo23

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 14:02:15 »
I remember meeting Darth Vader/ Dave Prowse. About 1983 I think.

The Rook

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:34 »

Have just found this. Taken in 1983 at a guess. My mum used to be part of a dog training club and was asked to do a display in the car park.

The Rook

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:58 »
First Post!

It'll be silly for me to quote all the bits that I want to say, so I'm just going to jump in.

A shop that hasn't been mentioned is Dolcis. My auntie worked in the Dolcis (shoe shop), it then changed to Freeman, Hardy & Willis. It can just about seen in picture that shows the Radio 1 Roadshow, (elsewhere) in this thread. Is now where there is the big gap that leads to the extension where the M&S now is. To the right of Dolcis was a 'Halfords type place' at some point because I remember my mum dropping a can of yellow spray-paint, the top came off and it wouldn't stop spraying (happy days!). To the left of Dolcis was an 'Athena type place' that sold pictures and posters. Next to that was Dixon's, then it was the Boots.

I too remember the Dixon's actually in the Savacentre too. I was one of the kids that mum would drag out in the morning while the kids TV was on; whilst mum was packing the shopping we'd go and watch the TV there.

I remember when Darth Vader made an appearance in-store, then the year later R2-D2 did one, too.

There was a Kentucky Fried Chicken between Wimpy and Spud-U-Like.

Does anyone else remember when the RAF used to have a static display in the car park? There would be 4 or 5 full-sized aircraft (Harrier, Jaguar etc.) and some cockpits that you could sit in.

There used to be a scratchcard booth just where the entrance to the restaurant area is.

In the middle of NSS was a flight of stairs that lead up to their toy department.

I think that's me done for now.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines