News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Farnborough Kent Windmill ?  (Read 112 times)

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Farnborough Kent Windmill ?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 16:13:00 »

There is a separate category for 'Windmills' under the 'Industry' tab, which may well interest you.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Farnborough Kent Windmill ?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 16:10:50 »
Dave... I've messaged you on another forum about this one, this week.

This is the extract from my book about it -

"Much caution is placed here in claiming mill sites on the basis of field names.  I have deliberately avoided including these, as their provenance is often weakened by corruption of field names over time.  With the village of Chelsfield, a field on the border of the parish with Orpington, seen in 19th century field names as ‘Windmill Field’, is almost certainly a corruption of a previous name ‘Wimble Field’ as marked on a sixteenth century plan.   Other well known field names such as ‘Windmill Hill Wood’ in St Mary Cray, ‘Mill Hill’ in Farnborough village, and ‘Mill Field’ in Deptford , probably do point to ancient windmill sites, but without any form of recorded historical supporting documentation are not included. "

So while it quite probably is an old windmill site at the very least 450+ years ago, there is nothing I've managed to find in medieval documents to back it up.

Offline Dave Lowe

• Appreciation 0
Farnborough Kent Windmill ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 21:43:35 »
In the church fields in Farnborough Kent ( London Bromley now ! ) there is a "Mill Hill" I suppose at one time there was a windmill on the hill, I can find no record of it, has any one any information ?
Thank You

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines