News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Waterworks  (Read 19440 times)

DoverDan

Re: Dover Waterworks
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 21:21:40 »
Nice one Islesy!
Never seen the wall paintings before, im guessing they're from the days of the Dover transport museum.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 20:55:14 »
"we must positively ensure we don't attract unnecessary attention to any facility irrespective of its importance to us or its historic value to society."

Well Veolia, I don't agree. I think any facility with the historic value of Connaught Pumping Station should be accessible to the rate paying public.
Which is why today, I walked in through the open gates, and had a good wander around an unmanned Pumping Station that is so vulnerable to terrorist attack.

Here are a few pictures.

now this next bit is really good, look at these hidden away.

So Veolia, it's over to you....

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 09:27:18 »
The reply to islesy from Veolia could be written in Vivendi.I used to recieve letters from middle managers at a former place of employment which took a considerable amount of mental effort to understand.In Veolias case they obviously don't realise that people have been all over their property in years gone by.
Who allowed the sale of our most important asset to a company French if that is where Veolia are from?

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 20:02:03 »
Theres a bit of a flap on at the moment :)
They are terrified of Terrorists poisoning the water supply..???
Thats why all the open reserviors in the Country are under Military guard.....Not!

So just drink Fosters :)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 16:25:36 »
I think it just means that they cant be bothered to show you around. Yes , there may well be a security risk, but I am sure you are less of a risk than the scores of contractors they are bound to have on site.  :)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 16:08:08 »
UPDATE! (But I will need the services of a translator - it looks like English, but there the similarity ends!)

Received today at 15:52:

"Dear Mr Isles

Tony Whitehouse has passed me your response to his recent e-mail regarding Connaught and it is obvious you are disappointed at us not being able to meet your request.
I wanted to reassure you that this isn't a case of Britain abandoning its heritage. I infer from your statement a thought that maybe we aren't sufficiently interested in the facility and because of this we aren't interested in accepting some freely offered PR.
The situation is quite different; we are very proud of the building and take seriously our responsibility to look after it. However as a water undertaker we have significant responsibilities to protect the critical national infrastructure we operate.
Our security threat hasn't changed over the past year but our approach to those potential threats in the future has changed this year. As a precaution in the troubled world in which we live we must positively ensure we don?t attract unnecessary attention to any facility irrespective of its importance to us or its historic value to society.
I hope you will understand that our refusal of your request was not borne out of any lack of interest but driven by positive policies, specifically developed to ensure we responsibly protect the necessary facilities society depends on.

I trust the foregoing helps you to better understand our position and again I express my regret at not being able to meet your request for access.

Yours sincerely
 <br /
>Regards

Gavin McHale
Head of Operations

Veolia Water Southeast Ltd
Cherry Garden Lane
Folkestone
Kent
CT19 4QB

01303 298824
07843 288260
gavin.mchale@veoliawater.co.uk

Did you know...?  We're now known as Veolia Water - different name, same great service - delivering top quality water around the clock.  Visit our website www.veoliawater.co.uk/southeast to find out more."

I am considering my response :)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 14:17:43 »
Hello Islesy. If Veolia is part of the French company that used to run the two rail franchises in the our part of the country then i think your chances of a visit to Dover Waterworks are pretty slim.If they used to run Connex then i wish their English employees the best of luck.I am unable to elaborate further but believe me i know!

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 09:10:58 »
By coincidence, I have been waiting for Veolia to get back to me regarding a visit, as I have been planning an article on the Waterworks for Dover Life Magazine. Imagine my surprise at receiving the following email from them this yesterday:

"On 25/11/09 16:40, "Whitehouse, Tony" <Tony.Whitehouse@veoliawater.co.uk> wrote:

Paul

Thank you for your email about the possible visit to one of our sites in Dover, But due to security issues we will not be able to take part in your project.
Thank you for your interest in our company.
Regards

Tony Whitehouse
Asset Operations Controller
Tel
: 01303 298819 or internal 8819
Fax: 01303 298875
Email: Tony.Whitehouse@veoliawater.co.uk <mailto:Tony.Whitehouse@veoliawater.co.uk>
www.veoliawater.co.uk/southeast <http://www.veoliawater.co.uk/southeast>"

Mmmm....... had to respond of course!

"Tony,

Thank you for your reply, though I am slightly bemused by the response.

12 months ago, the Southern Water website stated that "visits are welcomed" and to "contact us to arrange". What possible security threat could have emerged since then, that a Press visit would endanger? I could still write an article using the Research facilities available at the local library, and by using archive pictures - this would present no less of a "security issue?.

In such pressing times, when utility companies are subject to general "bad press", I would have thought a small PR exercise, costing Veolia nothing, would have been an ideal opportunity to connect with the rate payers of the Dover area.

Another case of corporate Britain abandoning it's heritage?

Yours sincerely,

Paul Isles
Editor"

I wonder what chance of a visit now?  :)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 21:47:30 »
Yes Col i can remember photos of the reservoir vault dry and with people in it.Was it also shown on tv once drained out for cleaning?
 The steam engines were in use in the 1950's as i can remember smoke coming out of a chimney and piles of coal or coke outside the waterworks building.

Offline col

• Appreciation 3
    • Subterranean History
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 17:34:39 »
I'm sure I've seen an old photo of people having a party in one of vaults before they filled it with water, can't remember where though.  I think there are steam engines at Brede waterworks in Sussex which came from here as well.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 23:43:37 »
The two Cornish boilers.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:14:44 »
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 09:50:58 »
There are houses built on the site of Castlemount Secondary School and the playing fields between the school and Godwyne Path? I had the dubious honour of attending that school from 1961 to 1965 but i can't make out where the adit and shaft would be situated now in relation to how it was in my schooldays.
Nice information unfairytale on the steam engines,reservoirs and wells.I can remember the Transport Musuem at the Waterworks.There was a member of the T.M. at my workplace and he was involved in the move to its' present site.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 17:54:59 »
There's only one engine left at the water works now the second was sent to Forncett Industrial Museum in Norfolk. When they were both working they were the only matching pair in existance and the last of their kind: Verticle triple expanding and producing 147hp The high pressure cylinders were 14in diameter the medium one 26in and the low pressure cylinders were a huge 42in diameter. They were worked alternately.

The upper reservoir is 108ft long and 24ft wide it was dug as a pit then roofed and covered with earth. The Mayor and Water Corperation held a banquet in there before it was filled with water. There are two wells 220ft deep. The lower reservoir above Godwyn path was dug in the mid 1860's.

Dover Transport Museum was sited in the Water Works grounds in the 1980's; I worked there for about 6 months.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Dover Waterworks
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:51 »
Back in the early 1960's my father was given the job of painting the Dover Waterworks well. The waterworks are near the top of Connaught Rd.He obtained permission for me to have a tour of the well,so one saturday morning he took me up there and I was shown the steam engines in the pump house.I think there were two of these but can't remember if they were still in use.Then it was time to descend the well.This large well has been divided by a series of platforms all the way down. We went through a trap door and down a ladder to the first platform,then through the next trapdoor onto the next ladder and down to platform two.In this way we worked our way down as far as it was lit by electricity.The section down to the water was unlit so Dad had to paint by Lamplight.   Leading off the level we were at was a tunnel with large pipes in it.Dad said this went along to another well the top of which can still be seen at the top of Godwyne path.In those days it had a little structure on it containing some machinery. Then it time for the long climb back up to the wellhouse.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines