News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kearsney Abbey Dover - The Dome  (Read 9764 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: Kearsney Abbey Dover - The Dome
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 19:10:42 »
From what I understand the ice house was a little way from the dome.

JW

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 11:05:33 »
That's interesting JohnWalker. If I've read the article correctly then the dome is to do with the fountain and what I remember was an ice house. I've just had a look on the Lydden Valley website and an inverted syphon at Roaring Gutter was used to keep the Delf Stream flowing into Sandwich after a nearby marsh was drained.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:04 »
This link might help explain.

http://www.invmed.demon.co.uk/mill/walk-1.html

9. Kearsney Abbey siphon
Water was siphoned from the river into this concrete mound, into a pipe which fed the fountain which sometimes still spouts up in the middle of the lake. There is no pump or motor - it all works by water pressure in the closed pipe system

JW

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:08 »
I've a vague memory of a domed structure in that area of Kearsney Abbey near the stream. This had a little doorway in it with, possibly, steps leading down to the entrance. This was on the side away from the stream. That would have been in the late 1950s to early 1960s. I can't recall what was inside the structure though. Is the one in Kyn's photo not far from where the stream comes under the road from Russell Gardens?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 23:11:13 »
I did think this was very close to the incoming stream.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 23:01:39 »
I believe Monktom Malc is right.  It's a kind of cistern for the lake fountain as far as I recall.  It's fed from a large lake on the other side of the road that is hidden from view (not Russell Gardens lake)

JW

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 22:38:35 »
Here is the dome being discussed.

Monkton Malc

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 15:35:22 »
I read somewhere (and I have just spent ages trying to find it again) that the dome was part of the system that controlled the fountain in the lake.

I will have another look later.

MM

KENTHIST

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:46:47 »
I remember the 'dome' you refer to from the 50's and early 60's.  At that time it was open on one side and inside was a large lever.  It was said, at that time,  to operate the fountain but I don't think so, I think it more than likely operated the sluice gate nearby.  It was very tiny inside and would not have been an air-raid shelter, in fact it was rather older than that anyway.  The floor of the structure was well below ground level but as I remember it difficult to stand full height.

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:04:03 »
Thinking about it I suppose its more likely to be an old well thats been capped.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 21:58:28 »
Oops. I was thinking of the one by the carpark on the oposite side of the tea rooms.  :)
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 21:55:36 »
I think it's the ice house that belonged to the old manor house. Later converted into an air-raid shelter.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
Kearsney Abbey Dover - The Dome
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 21:19:33 »
Does anyone know of the small dome in Kearsney Abbey, not far from the tearooms.  You walk along and down the path to the small bridge with the gate, it has a smooth top and some brick surround showing.  While out there last week I got talking to a regular dogwalker who says its the top to a small air raid shelter.  He says a friend used to have an identical one in his garden which I think he mentioned was in the river area.  Only the top of this one is visible maybe it's only a top and nothing else unless its buried.  I cannot see how it can be a shelter, looks far too small unless just for one or two people.  Perhaps he was just winding me up.  Anyone know anything about it?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines