News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 20 killed in training explosion  (Read 22625 times)

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
Re: 20 killed in training explosion
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 20:07:33 »
If it was a Teller mine then this could explain why it blew

http://kampfgruppe-gottlieb.weebly.com/achtung-minen-the-german-teller-mine.html
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 12:01:50 »
Just a long shot, during my Sapper training, (EOD) in the early fifties at Broadbridge camp (now long gone) I have a vague recollection of this incident being discussed in a range safety lecture, the mine in question was, I believe, a teller mine, early form of plastic explosive, contained in a metal casing. They had a handle on top for handling, if my memory serves me right, the word Teller is German for plate, this referred, I think, to the shape of the mine.
If I am totally wrong, forgive me, not meant to muddy the water, just trying to help.

Offline Neil Barnard

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 17:37:43 »
Thanks for letting me join the forum

I Googled 9th Worcester Regiment training Accident Ashford Kent 1945 and was directed to the forum (20 Killed in Training Explosion.
My Father George Barnard was injured in this explosion receiving shrapnel wounds to his head and lower back.
What he told me about the incident was that they were training for the D-day landings, the mine was a German anti tank mine, and they were learning how to disarm them. My father had just moved round the table to get a better view when the mine exploded, where he had been standing, all the soldiers were hit at stomach level killing most of them.
He was taken to EMS Hospital, Hothfield then transferred to the Kent and Sussex Hospital, Tunbridge wells on the 19 January and discharged from there on the 30th January.
The two pieces of shrapnel were left in his body.
He also served in the 436 battery RA, he must have known Reginald Walker from serving together in the Shetlands.
My Mother heard about the explosion from the BBC Radio, her and my Grandfather travelled to Ashford.
I have a copy of his service record where it states that he was transferred from the Royal Artillery to the 9th Worcester, after he recovered he was transferred to the Highland Infantry.   

rickster1964

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 08:11:37 »
Thank you for the new info

rickster1964

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:45 »
I recently got a copy from my Uncles Battalions WAR DIARY and it does not mention where they were despatched only that they were sent for training

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 17:45:38 »
I imagine it was Lydd.  Lyddite was invented there afterall so I expect they dealt with explosives on a regular basis.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

seafordpete

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 14:34:04 »
More like Lydd than Hythe as that was used for heavier weapons, demolitions etc

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:51 »
Or Hythe Ranges?

Offline Jon

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 18:53:37 »
There is a reference on Col.Fosters "The Real 'Dad's Army'" living near Hythe:

"A shocking accidenr near here: a live mine during a demonstration exploded, killing 20 men of the Worcestershire Regiment and blinding several others"

So Shorncliffe?

rickster1964

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 14:17:58 »
Just come across this thread and suggest it could be related to the pre-OCTU camp [AKA Wrotham Camp] of 148 Training Brigade. I have been in contact with various staff and cadets over the years in an effort to write the history of this establishment and had at least one contact who mentioned an explosion in one of the Nissen huts involving a demonstration with a mine. Unfortunately he is no longer with us and so I can get no further info from this source. As the camp had cadets from all regiments training to be officers this could account for the "59 regiments" mentioned. It's been years since I was at the PRO at Kew but they do hold the war diaries for the 8th Btn Sherwood Foresters who were the record keepers for the Brigade and this may contain a reference although my informant did say that it was hushed up at the time.
I have posted some details about the pre-OCTU on this site and more details can be found on the Vigo Village website.

Hi Paul baylis thanks for the info strange you should mention 8th Sherwood as my Great grandad was RSM FG WALKER in that regiment

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 11:06:39 »
could this possibly have been the REME depot at Ashford? This was mainly large nissen huts. Now demolished for the high speed rail link and residential  building, only the TA building surviving.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 19:28:44 »
Leaving the 20th deathe missing?
This could be the missing person:

Ancestry.co.uk:
Name                         Rank          Birthplace           Date of death     Theatre of War
Sidney S Shepherd    Gunner    Bedfordshire    11 Jan 1945    United Kingdom

Freebmd Q1 1945:
Shepherd    Sidney    24    Ashford    2a   2039

cwgc:
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2706078

Perhaps he died a day later from his injuries.

Bob

seafordpete

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 16:54:16 »
Hi Paul, had it been Vigo then the deaths would be recorded around that area (Sevenoaks or Tonbridge?)   whereas these are all East Kent mainly Dover/Ashford

paul baylis

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 16:33:06 »
Just come across this thread and suggest it could be related to the pre-OCTU camp [AKA Wrotham Camp] of 148 Training Brigade. I have been in contact with various staff and cadets over the years in an effort to write the history of this establishment and had at least one contact who mentioned an explosion in one of the Nissen huts involving a demonstration with a mine. Unfortunately he is no longer with us and so I can get no further info from this source. As the camp had cadets from all regiments training to be officers this could account for the "59 regiments" mentioned. It's been years since I was at the PRO at Kew but they do hold the war diaries for the 8th Btn Sherwood Foresters who were the record keepers for the Brigade and this may contain a reference although my informant did say that it was hushed up at the time.
I have posted some details about the pre-OCTU on this site and more details can be found on the Vigo Village website.

rickster1964

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 11:45:47 »
Pete ,
        Would it be possible to get a copy of the MOD or WD as it was then report of the incident. I am sure it would have listed full details of what and where event occured and names ranks etc of all involved.(Even though it was Wartime). I would have thought there would have been a Unit Inquiry at the very least .
     I have seen papers on here that some one posts from Kew maybe they could have a looksee.. Would the report be kept there or would it have to be applied for from MOD under the "freedom of info"act.?
                                                              Rog
Ps:- I see there is a H Carter Essex Regmt. who also died 10/1/45 buried in Ashford Cemetry as well as W Ellis from the list.
Just been checking the list of dead it looks like the H CARTER you found died in 1919

Cemetery: Ashford Cemetery
Area: Kent
Official Number: 302678
Unit: 7th Bn Essex Regiment
Force: Army
Nationality: British
Details: Died of wounds 10th January 1919 Age 31 Son of George and Emily Carter of Ashford Served in Egypt 7373

Leaving the 20th deathe missing?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines