News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 20 killed in training explosion  (Read 22624 times)

rickster1964

Re: 20 killed in training explosion
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 23:03:08 »
One of the guy in my gaming clan said ashford as they only used live mines

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 14:43:50 »
The only Bishopstone Ranges I know of were over Herne Bay way, there is a previous thread on the forum about 4 HG deaths there. It is possible that the men were billeted at other camps or barracks and were taken daily to the site for training as very often happened. We travelled from Horsham to Lydd ranges for some of  our training Most firing and demolition ranges only have ,or had, the barest facilities on them. Not many that I went onto had billets on them, this doesn,t mean this one didn,t though, delboy

seafordpete

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:50 »
Seems to be East Kent as  death registrations for the 2 mentioned ar Ashford & Dover. As Sgt Fisher died instantly and his death is Dover registered -maybe that end of the world. can anyone track Jane Quick?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 11:30:59 »
I would also like to thank you for this very interesting and personal addition, I really hope someone can help and find out where the camp was located  :)

rickster1964

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 21:32:30 »
I hope so I just recently spoke to someone who may have a copy of the Regimental War Dairies, I'll share what I find out, as i would love to no where this happend.

I'm so proud of my families Military history and i have done much research over the last several months.

Reginalds story is the saddest as he was only in the forces one year before his death and had lost his brother Kenneth Walker 4 months earlier during the Battle of Croce at Coriano Ridge, Italy 9th September 1944.

Out of all the stories Reg's is the most touching a young life cut very short as many were ...

My Mum (Cherry Cliffe nee Laing) is the daughter of Eileen Laing (nee Walker) Reginald's Sister.
Pictured Here.

rickster1964

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 21:16:32 »
I maybe able to help a little with this query as my Grand Uncle Reginald Walker is one of the deaths mentioned in the list and I too am trying to find out where the explosion occured.

This is what i know this is direct from article my family kept:-

No. 744   JANUARY 13, 1945
KILLED IN ACTION
Gunner Reginald Walker

Much sympathy ‘will be extended to Mr. and Mrs. F. G. Walker, of 1, ‘Granby Avenue, Newark, who have sustained another bereavement, through the tragic explosion at a camp in Kent. On Thursday they received a telegram informing them at their sixth son, Gunner Reginald Walker of the R.A. was one of the victims of this terrible disaster.

Mr. and Mrs. Walker’s fifth son, Corporal Kenneth Walker, was killed in action with the C.M.F. on the 9th September 1944.

Gunner Reginald Walker was only 20 years of age. After leaving the Methodist School he was employed in the Butchery Dept. of the Newark ‘Co-operative Society, and joined up in the R.A. two years ago this June. For twelve months he had been attached to the Ack-Ack battery in the Shetlands and came home on three weeks’ Christmas leave. He only returned ‘to duty last Thursday week when he was posted to this camp where the explosion which cost him his life took place.
The burial is to take place in Newark.
Gunner Walkers father who will be known as one of the Corporations Mace Bearers and himself served 22 years in the Sherwood Foresters and rose to the rank of R.S.M. He served in France throughout the last War and at the beginning this war was mobilised with the National Defence Companies which afterwards became a Sherwood Foresters home defence unit. After serving two and a half years he was discharged medically unfit.
Mrs. Walker has been connected with the W.V.S. since the outbreak of war, while the only daughter has seen service in the A.T.S.

The Explosion.

Twenty soldiers were ‘killed and 25 injured by the disaster when a mine exploded in a hut during a, lecture at the camp.
 Sergeant J. Fisher, of Birmingham, was demonstrating the working of an anti-personnel mine. It was a live mine, and when he was taking out the detonator it exploded, killing him instantly and about 15 others. Others died on their way to hospital. About a dozen were blinded.
Horizontal Blast.

The blast spread horizontally, and was confined to the hut, so that even soldiers elsewhere in camp did not hear the explosion.

Mrs. Jane Quick, who lives in a village near, said, “Nobody in the village noticed the explosion, as we often hear bangs from the camp.”

Another villager said: “‘there are usually 600 to 1,000 men in the camp. The village school is only a quarter of a mile away, and children were on their way home when the explosion happened, but none was hurt.”
Reginald died Wednesday 10th January 1945

Here are some pictures of rReg along with the original article if it helps

I hope this helps put a new edge on this story ...

My Grand Uncle Reg is now at rest very very close to the graves of his father
R.S.M F.G. Walker and his mother Lucy and also his brother Wilfred & Jack at
Newark-on-Trent Cemetery near the War Graves section.  I Recent visited and took this picture

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 12:59:06 »
I think I may have cracked it ! I have Anc subs so have just had a look and after a bit of moving about between old and new search have found this

Edmund Jones age 21 yrs  Ashford  2a 2036. Could well be him as it's the right qtr.
Hope this helps ?

Lyn
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 17:05:46 »
Pete
          I put  " e jones 1945 ashford"  into A**** ..Only four came up ,2 female and two males one R  one E .As I dont have  a subscription any more I cant go any further, but would assume the E is him.
                                                                                                    Rog

seafordpete

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 09:55:25 »
I've checked out Rogs original list and all except Jones E are Ashford deaths registered, Jones E,  I couldn't find (6,049 Jones came up!!) but on the basis several others of his unit died it is likely he is Ashford too. I also checked all Gunner deaths up to and including 16th but there were no Ashford or other Kent that fitted.

seafordpete

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 18:34:16 »
Pete ,
        Would it be possible to get a copy of the MOD or WD as it was then report of the incident. I am sure it would have listed full details of what and where event occured and names ranks etc of all involved.(Even though it was Wartime). I would have thought there would have been a Unit Inquiry at the very least .
     I have seen papers on here that some one posts from Kew maybe they could have a looksee.. Would the report be kept there or would it have to be applied for from MOD under the "fr
eedom of info"act.?
                                                                                  Rog
Ps:- I see there is a H Carter Essex Regmt. who also died 10/1/45 buried in Ashford Cemetry as well as W Ellis from the list.

I'll check the rest of the names on Ancestry and see if I can find any dying after 10/1 from wounds. I think you'll hit the 70 year rule on info on the report as it will contain names of individuals.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 18:27:32 »
The report says Sgt Fisher was dismantling the mine but ommits to say if it was a British or Axis mine. It may be a long shot, but as the war was nearing its end the government started to train extra men for the purpose of lifting some of the beach minefields. Could this have been a batch of those men being trained as trainers to go back to their own regiments to teach others?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 18:02:03 »
Register of Bombs and Shells dropped in the Elham Rural District
The register is divided into three sections: Exploded bombs, unexploded bombs and pilotless aircraft flying bombs. The date, time, position and type of explosive is recorded. [East Kent Archives Centre, ELHAM RURAL DISTRICT...]

These documents are held at: East Kent Archives Centre

Rog />

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 16:52:23 »
Pete ,
        Would it be possible to get a copy of the MOD or WD as it was then report of the incident. I am sure it would have listed full details of what and where event occured and names ranks etc of all involved.(Even though it was Wartime). I would have thought there would have been a Unit Inquiry at the very least .
     I have seen papers on here that some one posts from Kew maybe they could have a looksee.. Would the report be kept there or would it have to be applied for from MOD under the "freedom of info"act.?
                                                              Rog
Ps:- I see there is a H Carter Essex Regmt. who also died 10/1/45 buried in Ashford Cemetry as well as W Ellis from the list.

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 13:57:24 »
Think you have cracked it Rog!!
Just thought to look on Ancestry for deaths registered Q1 1945, checked CJ Allen, R Darlington, R Rollinson, SW Sturman, R Walker, all aged 20-21 all deaths registered at Ashford. I seem to recall the RAOC were in Ashford in the 60s & 70s -don't know about earlier but logically  it would be an RAOC or RE  role . Pete

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 13:36:00 »
Logical but the report states "About 60 men from 52 regts were at the lecture in a nissen hut when the mine exploded. "  so not necessarily Gunners unless it was broken down into individual RA regts. I tried using the CWGC search engine by date but realistically could only identify those not invoved because the burial was abroad.
Not sure of the way forward to close this down, if the camp or units  could be identified would a War Diary hold the answer ?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines