News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Export of buses from Dover in 1950's  (Read 2882 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Export of buses from Dover in 1950's
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:49:18 »
Thanks for the information Paul.Some posts about the Grand Shaft reminded me of the buses parked up near the shaft's bottom entrance.Wondered where they went.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Re: Export of buses from Dover in 1950's
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:17:44 »
I think a lot of the old Green Line buses were shipped to India and Pakistan in the 50's

Bit from Wiki 

Madras's MTC has a small fleet of double-decker buses mostly in the high-density, longer distance routes. Bombay has operated double-decker buses since 1937. They are operated by the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport Undertaking. Thiruvananthapuram, Kolkata and Hyderabad also have double decker buses. They are modelled on the London buses.

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Export of buses from Dover in 1950's
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:09:46 »
As i haven't seen this subject mentioned i thought i'd see if anyone has any information.In the mid 1950's dad used to take me for a walk along the Admiralty Pier at Dover via Snargate Street.This of course was badly damaged from WW2 and there were vacant plots on the cliff side of the road.On one of these plots near the Grand Shaft entrance would be parked up several double decker buses.I recall them being painted in green and i was allowed to climb into the cabs.
All i know is that they'd been sold overseas.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines