News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Les Folies Lefevres  (Read 24764 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Les Folies Lefevres
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 18:47:22 »
So far as we can make out Lefevres was taken over by Debenham's about 1967/68 (Reply#6). While we think Lefevres ran the Canterbury and Gillingham stores as separate companies, my wife remembers a Mr Pope visiting on 'inspections' now and again. The young man standing at the back in the 4th photo at the start of this thread was David Pope, presumably a son who worked at Gillingham to gain experience.

The manager at Gillingham was a Mr Sanders, called 'Mr Ralph' by the staff to distinguish him from his father, who was related to the Lefevre family, so far as my wife can remember.

You mention Tankerton: the large van in the first post of this topic was supplied by a garage in Tankerton, and my wife remembers her dad (the 'workman' in the 4th photo) going to collect it (it's him in the cab). We wonder why it was bought at a garage so far away, and whether there was any connection with Lefevres. I know the name of the garage, but just can't recall it.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: Les Folies Lefevres - for Helen
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 14:04:14 »
Strangely enough I dont remember Lefevres in Gillingham, but do remember Canterbury very well. My Mother worked in the Canterbury Store (in Windsmoor) from about 1967 onwards but I beleive it was Debenham's by then. I knew Mr Popes daughter Susan very well -we were at school together from 1944-48. She also had 2 older brothers. I was not aware that Mr Pope was related to the Lefevres. I beleive he became managing director of the store. Mr Pope arranged for the members of our school - Aldbourne PNEU School, Tankerton to have seats at the first floor windows of the showroom to watch King George vi, Queen Elizabeth and the two Princesse
s when they came to Canterbury to unveil the restored Cloisters etc at the Cathedral in 1946. As you came down from the first floor from the then Restaurent there was a marvellous mural of a scene from the Canterbury Tales painted in the 1920/30s. It impressed me as a small child.

Mr Lefevre died soon after the war- I do not remember him but his wife lived in the big house in the middle of Kingsdown Pk Tankerton, until she sold it and moved onto the seafront nr  Tankerton Circus. I know they had a daughter Mary and she married around 46/47.I beleive her husband became a vicar. Sadly my Mother who would have been able to fill in lots of details on this (and other subjects) is no longer alive

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 15:06:45 »
Thanks yet again, Numanfan.

My wife is not in the picture, but recognises most of the the girls. The one in the centre of the back row was the compere for the 'Folies' shows, but my wife can't remember the name. They didn't all take part in the 'Follies', so it was probably a carnival event, as you suggest.

Is there anybody who recognises themselves or their relatives in any of the photos?

PC

Merv

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 15:22:23 »
What really satnds out in all these old photos is the cleanliness of the people, not rubbish anywhere.
Even the dustmen had brooms rather than them silly tongs they use nowaday.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 09:01:01 »
Merv, that picture spans a lifetime. My future father-in-law is there somewhere. If those people could have foreseen today's world their minds would have boggled!!

Merv

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 01:07:15 »
My error pete, i didn't look close enough
And a very quick colour change to give a taster around the coach.
Your photographs are in good shape.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 21:08:04 »
Sorry, I should have mentioned this. It's the opposite side of the road, Lefevres is behind the camera. The big grey building at the top of Green Street was the Technical College.

Merv

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 20:48:42 »
The 1930's shot doesn't look to be the same building and am suprised to see the Post Office there too.
And the Electric board come to that.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 11:53:12 »
A step back in time - early 1930s

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 22:22:45 »
Wrong again :)
Mrs P has just looked over my shoulder at the previous posts and said the shop outings were on Wednesdays. They closed the shop for the morning on one day a year. What with that and the half-day off for Christmas shopping (Reply#7) it's a wonder they made any profit :)
Seriously, my wife says it was a good firm to work for, and I must say that I never heard her complain.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 21:56:26 »
It might have been a sunday outing, like when Pilchards were about.

Could have been a Wednesday afternoon - early closing, but I agree most probably a Sunday. Coaches were definitely M&D.

Merv

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 21:05:30 »
It might have been a sunday outing, like when Pilchards were about.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 12:03:47 »
Thanks again Merv. How do you do it, or is it a trade secret? :)
It says something about the amount of traffic in those days that the road could be blocked while the photo was taken.

The good old days in shops! Every town had an early closing day, Wednesday for most places, when all shops closed, except for small corner shop types.  I'm not sure if this was legally required or not, but the result was that shop staff had great difficulty in shopping for themselves.
Early closing days in 1951 for all places within Maidstone & District bus area was Wednesday except for:
   Brighton:    Wednesday & Saturday
   Canterbury:   Thursday
   Faversham:   Thursday
   Rye:      Tuesday

Merv

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 00:53:31 »
Pete,
I have reworked(coloured) this one for you, and it was a Pig....( :))
Could have been yesterday heh?

Wasn't it good when you could tell who the woman were. :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 21:51:24 »
Thanks seafordpete, that answers when Debenhams took over.

The good old days in shops! Every town had an early closing day, Wednesday for most places, when all shops closed, except for small corner shop types.  I'm not sure if this was legally required or not, but the result was that shop staff had great difficulty in shopping for themselves.

I don't know if it was common elsewhere, but Lefevres allowed their staff a whole half-day off for Christmas shopping! My wife can't remember if it was paid, but probably not.

Since then, of course, there has been a progressive change - abolition of half-day closing, introduction of late opening and Sunday opening, and bank holiday opening. How long will it be before shops are open on Christmas Day?

I'm not saying if this is good or bad (I've got a daughter in the retail trade, and I'm sure she'll tell me if she reads this!), but at least shop staff can now do their own shopping.

However, with the inevitable shift work, where some staff probably never meet each other, I wonder if they could ever find the common bond to produce something like the 'Folies'. As my wife says, it was hard work but it was fun, and we're sure it made a happy staff who worked all the better for it.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines