News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Les Folies Lefevres  (Read 24784 times)

seafordpete

Re: Les Folies Lefevres
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 19:05:59 »
I worked at Lefevres in Canterbury starting March 1968, I was hired by Lefevre personnel staff but by the time I started they had been replaced with Debenhams people so guessing they took Gillingham about the same time. I was offered a job by Lefevres as Goods inwards mgr and told that I would move to an ASM role in the store within a few months, Debenhams had different ideas and I got stuck in the Goods in until I chucked it in about a year later after  finding I could work in Bowaters Board Mill at Kemsley in the lab for the fantastic amount of 900 a year (and overtime, and go home for lunch) which was 100 a year more than I got at Canterbury!!! (and worked a 5.5 day week and drove from Sittingbourne)
THe good old days...........................................

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 18:03:29 »
We are trying to piece together some subsequent history.

My wife worked at Lefevres, Gillingham, until 1954, and my father-in-law worked there until about 1966. Some time after that the branch was taken over by Debenhams. Then still later the premises was broken up into smaller units.

Does anybody know when these events occurred, and who occupies the shops now?

The Mr. Pope mentioned in the newspaper report was a member of the Lefevre family, and we think the Gillingham and Canterbury branches were run as separate companies. Note the reference in the newspaper report to 'W. Lefevre Ltd., Canterbury', and 'Lefevres (Gillingham) Ltd'.

So the final history of the two sets of premises may not have been the same. So, again, can anyone throw any light on what happened at Canterbury?

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 22:49:37 »
The restaurant closed some time ago. The Kent relience Building Society closed sometime ago too

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:28:36 »
Ah thanks, in the last picture in the middle is a doorway for a Restaurant, this is still a restaurant today. (leads to steps upstairs)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:04:15 »
Lefevres faced onto Gillingham High Street and Green Street, and went round the back of the bank on the corner.

The picture 'Carnival Time' shows the High Street. This picture is in Green Street; the doorway is for staff and goods in/out.

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:30:37 »
Where abouts was this store in Gillingham, High Street or Canterbury Street?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
Les Folies Lefevres
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 20:36:47 »
Lefevres was a large Kent department store with branches at Canterbury and Gillingham.

Everybody at the shop contributed in some way towards the production, either on-stage or as sceneshifters, and the costumes and props were all produced 'in-house' in the members' spare time. Lefevres allowed the use of the premises for rehearsals and contributed much of the materials used.

The show had a run of about 3 evenings for each of 2 or 3 years at the Garrison Theatre, Brompton, but the presentation at Canterbury was a one-off and may have been the last ever performance.

All we remember about dates is that they were about 1951.

If anyone has any recollections, or if any of the cast or their relatives read this, Mrs peterchall would love to hear from you.

Scenes from the show

The Cast

Carnival Time

And finally, just to show it wasn't all play and no work

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines