Waterbodies & Maritime > Vessels

MV 'Queen of the Channel'

<< < (2/3) > >>

rob1954:

--- Quote from: Ted Ingham on October 19, 2010, 22:48:49 ---Photo taken whilst she was laid up for the winter at Rochester.

During the summer season she called in at Deal for a Channel cruise.

Alongside at Ramsgate towards the end of her career with GSNC.

An advert from that period.

Moderator Note: Photo's removed. Please don't use photo's in quotes, thanks.

--- End quote ---
My father James E Toy was Second Engineer on The Queen of the Channel, my my, last time I saw her was when she left Medway for the Greek Islands in 1968. On her trips across the Channel in my summer holidays I used to go down into the Engine Room with my father. The photo of her in the creek at Rochester brings it all back to me, also in my summer holidays I used to go to Ramsgate with my Mother to see my Father on the ships day off (Monday) we sat at the Captains table for dinnner and I had The Queen of the Channel all to myself, what a toy to play with
Robin---

Alastair:
That brings back memories. Went on the Queen of the Channel in 1965 from Deal to Calais when she did regular trips.

Alastair

howard:

--- Quote from: Ted Ingham on October 21, 2010, 10:48:49 ---Hello Howard.
Thanks for you comment.Yes it certainly is Ramsgate.I lived there at the time.The Eagle Cafe and the present Port Control buildings are hidden behind the bridge of the QOTC.The motor cruiser to the left is being prepared to be put on the slipway attended by the Cannons.Probally Ron Cannon and his Dad Bob.Ron became Coxswain of Ramsgate lifeboat and has now retired as Coxswain.His son Ian has taken over as Coxswain and his other son Paul Second Coxswain.Ron can still be seen out and about in his Bumble boats assisting with the moorings of the ferrie
s when they berth.
Hope this answers your query.
Kind regards,
Ted

--- End quote ---

Apoloigies Ted, she is obviously bigger than she looks! I often cycle from Sandwich to Ramsgate and find it fascinating to see that, when a ferry arrives and swings ready to berth, the mooring boat appears to amble out of the harbour and crawl across to the bow, arriving just as the first wire is dropped over the side.

Ted Ingham:
Just a few more pictures connected with the QOTC.
The "Royal Daffodil" built just before the outbreak of the Second World War.Did excellent service during the Dunkirk Evacuation until a bomb damaged her stern which effected her propulsion.After the War she resumed service mainly on the London,Gravesend,Southend,Margate and Calais route.When the service was withdrawn she sailed for the breakers yard at Ghent,Belgium.

Next is the Royal Sovereign.Built to replace the earlier ship that was mined in the Bristol Channel during WW2.
Another Denny of Dumbarton built vessel she was built 1948.Her main service was London,Southend and Margate.Leaving Tower Pier at 0900 Southend at 1200 and arriving at Margate at 1400 for 2 hours ashore.During that time at Margate she did an afternoon cruise around the Foreland and one day she headed out around the Tongue Sands Fort.For fourteen shillings you could board her at Margate departing at 1600 and return from tower Pier to Margate by train.Later on towards the end of her career with GSNC she ran from Gravesend,Southend and Clacton.Sold to Townsend Car Ferries and renamed AUTOCARRIER she was converted to take freight traffic to the Continent.She was then sold to Iscia Ferries at Napoli renamed ISCIA and was only scrapped a couple of years ago.A testament to Denny of Dumbarton.

Finally our dear old friend the Medway Queen.As the history is already on the forum I will just say that the photo was taken whilst she was laid up in the West India Dock after having a hull survey in the Rotherhithe Dock.I was lucky  to spend the day on her with my brother where we photographed about every inch of the vessel in detail.

Ted Ingham:
Hello Howard.
Thanks for you comment.Yes it certainly is Ramsgate.I lived there at the time.The Eagle Cafe and the present Port Control buildings are hidden behind the bridge of the QOTC.The motor cruiser to the left is being prepared to be put on the slipway attended by the Cannons.Probally Ron Cannon and his Dad Bob.Ron became Coxswain of Ramsgate lifeboat and has now retired as Coxswain.His son Ian has taken over as Coxswain and his other son Paul Second Coxswain.Ron can still be seen out and about in his Bumble boats assisting with the moorings of the ferries when they berth.
Hope this answers your query.
Kind regards,
Ted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version