News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boat Service to Upnor  (Read 7844 times)

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
Re: Boat Service to Upnor
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 14:14:07 »
Hi, There comments reference the Grey Launches in the Topic Chatham Sun Pier.
Regards Troyboy

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:46 »
I agree the boat ride was the best part sitting at Upnor eating your sandwiches and maybe a cup of tea from the little tea place was something we did waiting for the ride back. They were old MOD 52' launches I believe and I went onto training for coxswain on a similar one when I worked for the MOD afloat (PAS then RMAS) at Gillingham Pier later on in life.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:29 »
Two pubs in that part of Upnor The Pier and The Ship. remember using the boats a lot in school holidays late 50s and remember the fare return was 10d [4p] the floating cafe was a converted barge.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:08:15 »
This was our holidays really and we did it quite a few times on sunny days i can still remember the excitement when mum used to say come on lets take some sandwiches and take the boat to Upnor.
Happy days we were easily please back in the day
I reckon the boat ride was the main pleasure, because the beach at Upnor was just big pebbles if my memory is correct.

You could also get to Upnor by bus but it wasn't the same (but it was a half-hourly service from Chatham at week-ends, even as late as 1957).

Pre-war we also walked to Upnor round Tower Hill at weekends and enjoyed a pint at the pub - or mum and dad did, I was only 6-8 years old, so had to have a lemonade (What was/is the name of the pub?)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:32:53 »
I have only just found this page and been enjoying reading certain items this is one that brings back memories.
I was born in 1949 and i can remember my mother taking my sister, brother and myself on the boat from Sun Pier to the beach at Upnor i am almost certain it was half a crown return. This was our holidays really and we did it quite a few times on sunny days i can still remember the excitement when mum used to say come on lets take some sandwiches and take the boat to Upnor.
Happy days we were easily please back in the day
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 21:57:46 »
Thanks for the compliment.
Didn't know they had accommodation at Sheerness Gun Wharf.
Accomodation was for my mum, dad and me! More details in 'Land, Sea, & Air/Sheerness Dockyard/Sheerness Gun Wharf'.
I also lived in Chatham Gun Wharf and since it's alongside the river you might find it interesting. See 'Kent Defences/General Defences/Chatham Gun Wharf'.

Regards,
peterchall.

Medway Buoy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 19:45:14 »
There's not a lot wrong with your memory peterchall.
Yes they were open boats painted grey outside and brown inside and I cant remember if they were wheel or tiller steering or had athwart ship seating. Maybe someone who saw the boats either side of the war will reply.
Didn't know they had accommodation at Sheerness Gun Wharf.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 17:11:54 »
Thanks Medway Buoy, that is as I remember, apart from a floating teashop at Upnor.

My memory is from March 1935, when my dad left the army, to late 1937/early 1938, when we moved to Sheerness Gun Wharf. The boats were definitely open - not even a wheelhouse - but I can't remember if they were steered by a wheel or tiller. Passengers sat round the sides of the boat but, again, I can't remember if there were any cross-seats (or whatever the proper nautical term is). If the boats you mention were open they could even be the same ones. I'm sure they were painted grey, which ties in with the company name.

Peterchall

Medway Buoy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 15:57:59 »
Dont know about before the war but there was service running after the war to the "pleasure beach" at Upnor. I think it was summer season only.
It was run by the Grey Motor Launch Co. who used two ex naval boats named Queen of the South and Southern Queen, I think there was also a third but smaller boat named Queen of Kent that was used as a stand by boat. They used to run between Sun Pier and the mobile jetty that was winched up and down the Upnor beach on iron wheels operated by a man we knew as Jack. The jetty was next to the floating tea shop.
The main work for the Grey Motor Launch Co. at that time was as linesmen and boatmen to some off the ships in the Port of Rochester. The company still exists today at Thamesport, Isle of Grain tending the large container ships.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:38:46 »
I do remember going on a pleasure trip across to Upnor from Sun Pier, had to be the late 50s I would think, I'll ask my sister and she may remember a bit more about it. Moved up to Gillingham in 1961 but she was here before us. Can't remember what sort of boat it was now, I was about 11 yrs.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
Boat Service to Upnor
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 20:19:41 »
During the period 1936/1937 (and probably before and after) there was a boat service from Chatham Sun Pier to Upnor.

I remember open motor boat(s), like a ship's lifeboat, running from the floating pontoon on Sun Pier to a landing stage on Upnor beach. The landing stage was wheeled so it could be moved up and down the beach with the tide. The boats (I'm not sure if one or more) held, at a guess, about 30 people, and I think fares were collected on the boat.

I don't know if the service ran daily, just at weekends, or maybe just in the school holidays. Nor do I have any idea of the name of the operator.

Does anybody have any information?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines