News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Demolition of Blue Circle / Lafarge Cement Works Northfleet  (Read 30040 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Demolition of Blue Circle / Lafarge Cement Works Northfleet
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 08:49:19 »
Is this the demolition of the original building 1926

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:07 »
keith-17 - my dad could well be on those films as he ran a building gang working on the site in the early 70s.

keith-17

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 01:56:12 »
it does seem strange down there dosn't it , AEI and Henlys long gone , they made all the undersea telephone cables for marconi down there , my grandad used to work ar henlys and i have his 40years service watch safely here ..
i asked my dad about the museum stuff , he said soem went to the little place at the fort gardens and some went to chatham ..he has the films still though :)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 15:24:59 »
I had a look at the gate at the Gravesend end today. The footpath is still blocked off and the KCC notice said 'Closed for a maximum of 6 months from 28th October 2010.' That was when the previous notice ended! There was no sign of any demolition going on from that position.
 Driving along Crete Hall road is strange as most of AEI has gone now and I could see the chalk cliffs at the back of the site.
mmitch.

keith-17

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:33 »
I'm Not really sure to be honest , i'll ask my dad next time i see him

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 10:17:24 »
keith-17
Any idea what happened to the museum artifacts? There was a model of the factory after it was modified, in the Gravesend Chantry museum last Summer.
mmitch.

keith-17

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 21:53:33 »
My Dad was employed by BLUE CIRCLE to film and archive the building of the northfleet works , he still has all the film on 16mm as he used to run the museum near the football ground until they ran out of money for it to continue ..
as a young lad i was lucky enough to go up inside one of the chimenys at northfleet as they where finishing it off , a fair old view from up there 650feet in the air  :)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 06:44:07 »
Maybe it was hidden by bushes but I couldn't see it.
mmitch.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 23:15:08 »
I was under the impression that the Aspdin cement kiln was a scheduled ancient monument, so I'd hope it survives.

Tom Burnham
Staplehurst

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 18:16:12 »
I had a walk round to the gate at the football ground end of the site. We called it the 'Brickfield gate'
There used to be a small museum there that even had a 'bottle kiln' from the 1800s but the site is completely flat and over grown now. :(
 I see the official notice on the barrier says the public footpaths with be closed until 1st October.....
mmitch.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 06:53:13 »
I joined Blue Circle in 1968. We used the derelict Johnson's works as a store for bricks etc while Northfleet was being completed in the early 70s. The Jetty was in use by a gravel firm.
mmitch.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 22:28:56 »
Hmm, that makes me feel old!  I remember the old Johnson's works at Greenhithe being demolished after being replaced by the 'new' Northfleet works.

Tom, Staplehurst

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 07:13:43 »
Not long after they were built one of the engineers spotted a man near the top of one on his way up. He checked that no one was supposed to be up there and waited with the shift manager for him to come down. He was found to be a contractor who did it for a bet! He was thrown off site....
mmitch.

g man

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 22:24:31 »
hi firts time iv seen this site . id just like to add my bit of history . years ago in the 80s i worked for a steeplejack company called raffertys and we contracted to cement works all over . i had the pleasure of several visits to northfleet staying in the yanks caffey in the town we had all maner of jobs like emptying cement silos and many other rough jobs .the jobs that stick in my mind wer the times when we had the job of working on both chimneys . as i remember they wer originaly 500 feet tall untill an extra 50 feet of brickwork was added to the top off both stacks . the views from the top was truley breathtaking that is if i had any breath left after climbing up there . our tasks ranged from inspections to repairing the aircraft lights . i can still remember thinking how small the ships looked on the thames from that lofty view point . hope this is of some interest to you . g man

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 15:10:20 »
I saw it medwayboy, and yes it was those chimneys being demolished in the program.  I was pleased about that, because I had meant to go up and watch the demolition, but forgot, so at least I got to see it on film even if I missed it 'in person.'
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines