Kent History Forum

News: 2/Lt. William Mackay Carlyle - Killed in action 26.10.16
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Road of Remembrance Naval Bunker, Folkestone  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Re: Road of Remembrance Naval Bunker, Folkestone
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:14:32 »
The building "next door" is the secondary entrance to this building - it's like the TARDIS! Went in a couple of months ago, some remains of WWII posters are the highlights (haven't posted anything as they're similar to the pics at the beginning of this thread). Last rumour I heard was that the Bunker was going to be turned into a WWI Museum in time for 2014. If you're interested my pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weddingsinkent/sets/72157614478540122/
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 22:54:22 »
I'm sure I have seen this building on the forum before, has there been any photos of the building next door to it?

Barrels are stored in the top, they look as if the have been there for a long time.

The building next door on the right.

The top of the door has been bent back, that's handy,

Two inside photos.

I took these photos yesterday.

Offline Merc

• Global Moderator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Medway Lines
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 20:16:39 »
Just found this:

Quoted from http://www.gofolkestone.org.uk/newsletters/march2008/Step-Short.html

"Approximately half way down the hill is a concrete structure from the Second World War. This was communications centre that was probably part of the network feeding information from shipping in the channel back to the Enigma project in Bletchley Park.

"This complex consists of five large rooms with connecting passageways. As with all such buildings, it is showing signs of decay from neglect. Should we wait until a future version of Time Team digs up what is left in the year 2500 or should we invest time and resources into preserving it now - before the decay has gone too far? This building should be converted into a proper military museum dedicated not only to the part that the town played in the wars, but also to the function that it actually carried out.

One or more of the rooms could be dedicated to the part that the Canadians played in the Great War since this could be a major tourism incentive from that part of the world."

Offline Merc

• Global Moderator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Medway Lines
Road of Remembrance Naval Bunker, Folkestone
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 20:03:55 »

remains of an old poster

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines