News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Greenhithe Congregational Church  (Read 2972 times)

Nnop

Re: Greenhithe Congregational Church
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 22:56:07 »
I have just come across this Kent Forum, I am the current owner of Greenhithe Congregational Chapel and have been for the last 12 years. Does anyone have any info or pics of how the inside looked?

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
Re: Greenhithe Congregational Church
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 23:48:50 »
Hi

I worked at Blue Circle Research, whose entrance was almost opposite, from 1973 to 1987 and passed the Congregational Church, which I think was no longer used as such.  See my photo of London Road in 1973 which I think just shows it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/3231582944/

I understand the area now looks very different.

According to 'The Victorian Churches of Kent' (by Roger Homan: Phillimore, 1984) it was built in 1819, pointed windows, classical proportions (!).  Brick with flint facade.  Closed WW II, thence a factory; Thornton Brush Co. from 1956. />
Not much, but give some clues for further investigations.

Tom Burnham, Staplehurst

yvette1965

Greenhithe Congregational Church
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:43:21 »
We have recently bought part of the converted Greenhithe Congregational Church on the High Street, Greenhithe Village. I've not been able to find much information on the building, and would love to know more about it as we are trying to bring back some of the character inside.
We have been told the last Reverend to be here was a Rev Thomas Tierney, which would be odd as our surname is Tierney.
Anyone know anything about the building??
Many thanks

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines