News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Church of St. Mary the virgin, Burham  (Read 16064 times)

seafordpete

Re: Church of St. Mary the virgin, Burham
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 16:43:07 »
A large Roman building was excavated near the Southern Water site in the mid 1960s

merc

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 16:12:45 »
A Roman underground temple to Mithras was discovered near the church in 1892, but this has since been destroyed....this might be the remains at the corner of Scarborough Lane and Hall Road.

At nearby Eccles there was a large Roman Villa, and there are also reused Roman bricks in the church itself.

Paul Narramore

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 15:51:13 »
Very interesting especially as you mentioned the Romans. Some years ago I was the local Bobby for Aylesford. Burham & Wouldham so I have a particular interest in the area. As for Burham Court, the elderly gent who lived there at the time shows me pieces of Roman stonework presumably from a previous dwelling there. I'd guess Burham Court is 16/17th century.

My OS map shows the remains of a Roman building at the junction of Scarborough Lane and Hall Road, on the North corner of the junction. Perhaps the stonework I mentioned came from there?

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 14:54:08 »
In a nutshell yes.

There is a memorial on the river bank to the battle of the Medway in 43AD and it is conjectured that Roman legions crossed the Medway near here on their way to colonise the country.

The positioning of both Burham and Snodland churches (opposite each other) near to the river and away from any other highway seems to support that there were settlements, industry and/or a crossing here.

Whilst only scant remains of settlement exist now a Roman villa and other remains have been found nearby, the medieval Burham Court is opposite and old farm buildings surround the church of St Mary. Meanwhile a walk along Old Church Road towards Wouldham allows access to the many wharves all derelict on the riverside that would have originally provided a bustling sight near to the church.

In the 19th Century the rise in chalk excavation on both sides of the Medway caused the settlements to grow at both Snodland and Burham in the area of the industry on the higher ground and whilst to a point the old church served this community still, eventually a nearer and larger building was sought.

On the Burham village website it describes how the cement industry came in the 1830's and population of the parish rose from 380 at the 1841 census to 1725 in 1901. http://www.burhamvillage.com/HomeFrames.html

There was no need to build further houses by the river and so the population became centred around the current village centre.

The two maps below date from 1869 and show the extent of industry around the old church and also the lmited growth at that time of the village centre higher up although it can be seen that there is a vicarage and school by this time.

The old church was restored in 1956 - in fact I have an interesting photograph in the 1954 book by Pratt Boorman and Torr which shows it derelict and covered in ivy describe it as decaying only two years before its restoration.

Paul Narramore

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 11:41:55 »
Riding

You say the village moved owing to the cement works. At the moment there are no more than four or five houses close to the old church. Were the remainder of the houses of the old village demolished or were there always some old houses in the present village of Burham? Sorry, that didn't read right, what I mean to say is what happened to the old village of Burham?

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:16:09 »
Funny, it does look older than that - it looks like they tried to mix two early styles of Norman incorporating circular and the arch design as seen on the square one as opposed to going all Victorian Gothis with a marble effort.

merc

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 00:36:04 »
Yep, i was reading all about that Riding  :)

The round font is from the Victorian church, which they demolished in 1981.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 23:52:07 »
I could look out my guide book!

Whats interesting for me is that they abandoned this church when the cement industry took off and the village moved from the riverside and another church was built which only lasted a few years and was then demolished (due to subsidence I think) causing the village to re-use the old church.

merc

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 22:16:41 »
A quick teaser for you....does anyone know exactly why the church has two Fonts?

merc

Church of St. Mary the virgin, Burham
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 20:30:34 »
I had a look in St. Mary's at Burham today. The outside photo's didn't come out too well as it was dark and pouring hard. Inside, it's a simple, but nice old church, which is today looked after by The Churches Conservation Trust.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines