News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Chatham & District Traction Company  (Read 72666 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Chatham & District Traction Company
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2015, 17:51:13 »
I have no recollection of separate stops for the two companies where they shared a route, except where there were many services, such as in Military Road. I’m not sure if the service numbers were shown in the yellow rectangle where there were multiple stops. I can’t remember when the present system of the bus stop sign bolted onto a concrete post, as in KeithJG's photo, was introduced.

M&D and C&D shared the office in Military Road. While it was designated an M&D office – it was where you pre-booked tickets for the express services – conductors of both companies paid in their takings in a room at the back. So I now think the bus stop poles were black and white, avoiding the 'conflict' between the two companies colour schemes..

While all C&D services between Chatham and Rochester ran via New Road, the 1957 M&D timetable shows 13 services between the two towns. In the headings to 7 of them it states “via Medway Street and High Street”, but the other 6 show only the times at Military Road and Star Hill. However, my (possibly incorrect) memory tells me that Service 23 to Cobham, Service 26 to Gravesend and Servce113 to Lower Higham (all those that used Strood Hill) ran via New Road. Service 113 is memorable for being one of the few single decker services in the Medway Towns.

I have found a copy in a booklet of the Fare Table for C&D Service 3 (Gillingham Green to Frindsbury) It is undated but is interesting because it adds to the information on the bus stop locations in my previous post.
Fare stages from Chatham to Star Hill were: Military Road, Chatham Station (the stops in Smiffy’s photo), Boundary (Fort Pitt Hill), Star Hill Bottom. So fare stages were not equal in length.
Fares from Military Road were (old pence): Star Hill Bottom = 1d; Strood, Angel = 1&1/2d; Gun Lane= 2d (another very short stage); Frindsbury = 2&1/2d (What is the single adult fare from Chatham to Star Hill today?)

Pre-selective and Pneumocyclic gearboxes were the same type of gearbox (epicyclic) operated by different systems.

With the former the gear was selected by a lever on the steering column but not engaged until the gear pedal (in place of the clutch pedal) was depressed and released – actually the previous gear was disengaged when it was depressed and the next one engaged when it was released. The M&D vehicles fitted with it were Daimler CWG5’s and CWA6’s, 22 in total, introduced from 1943 to 1945.

The Pneumcyclic system was introduced with the Leyland Atlantean in 1959, and which, with its successors, has become the ‘standard' layout for double-deck buses ever since, with the front entrance and rear engine. There was no clutch or gear-change pedal, gear changing being effected simply by movement  of a small lever in a gate attached to the steering column. (Having been retired for 23 years I am now a bit out of touch, so even that system may now be obsolete)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

KeithJG

« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2015, 14:19:45 »
I believe Bust Stops were shared when both companies on the same routes also they shared the rent of each stop but of course each company had there own routes and so there own Bus Stops on that route. Picture shows 1947 and concrete post then and no M&D or C&D written on the stop sign.

I always remember my Father telling me (as he was an M&D driver at Gillingham from 1946 to 1952) about the Pneumocyclic gearbox.

This was not a manual box and was used sometime from the early 1930`s it was used in heavy vehicles because of the constant need for changing gears especially in towns.

This type of gearbox had other names like Semi Automatic or Pre-select Box but i think the Pnuemocylic Gearbox was it`s proper name.

While in one gear the next gear could be selected but it did not change up until the gear foot pedal was pushed.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2015, 10:26:39 »
I don't know about the colour of the poles PC, but a thought occurs:-
Although C&D and M&D belonged to the same holding company, they were run at this time as two, independant, competing operators. I don't think C&D would accept M&D colours on their street furniture. I believe that in most cases they had separate stops. They certainly had different fare scales as C&D were protected from competition by law over common sections of route. Similar protection applied in Maidstone, M&D v. Maidstone Corp. Those stops in smiffy's photo were only served by C&D, M&D going via the High Street to Rochester.
I think it more likely that the poles were in C&D brown & cream, or perhaps black & white like traffic signs?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2015, 18:41:30 »
Brilliant find Smiffy, many thanks :).

So I wasn’t quite right - the bar didn’t project like the LT logo. I’m now wondering if the poles were painted in the M&D colours of green and yellow.

To give an idea of spacing, the next stop was a request on the New Road, just out of sight at the top of New Cut. Then a normal stop at the bottom of Fort Pitt Hill, another request near the bowls club on Jackson’s Fields, a normal stop on New Road before the turn down to Star Hill, and then Victoria Street or the High Street near the bottom of Star Hill, depending on route. About 6 stops per mile including requests.

C&D’s Bristol K5G’s were usually started in 2nd gear, then with the changes to 3rd and 4th it made about 18 gear changes per mile excluding those for normal traffic conditions. No wonder crews moaned about ‘lazy b***s’ stopping buses at request stops – drivers’ left leg muscles were probably well developed!

Fares were about one (old) penny for the first mile or part of, then about a half-penny per half-mile.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2015, 16:09:42 »
You can see one either side of the road in this picture from 1939. I never noticed these before as they are a bit before my time!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2015, 12:07:42 »
The thread on the bus at Borstal has awoken another memory, which is more appropriate in this thread – the pre-war/wartime (?) M&D and C&D bus stop signs.

They were similar to the London Transport signs of a rectangular bar across a circle, but the rectangle was much wider. It was yellow with a green edge, and was either plain or carried the wording ‘Request Stop’, as appropriate.

The part-circle above and below the rectangle was green and carried the words ‘Bus’ and ‘Stop’ respectively.

The sign hung from a metal post bent at a right-angle at the top by two chains, but I can’t remember what colour the posts were painted.

I have searched in vain for one to show in a photo and can’t remember when they were replaced by the present concrete posts with the sign bolted on.

Please someone – tell me it’s not all a figment of my imagination!

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2014, 16:43:50 »
And me....
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2014, 14:47:44 »
Me too

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2014, 14:08:49 »
done! Good luck!

Is there a thread on the trolley buses in Maidstone?

Offline GP

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2014, 13:38:14 »
Thanks for those who have voted to get the funding!

The FOCT website has been recently updated, with the latest info on the restoration.

Link:-  http://www.chathamtraction.org.uk/

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2014, 12:51:06 »
I did too  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2014, 12:21:51 »
Me also!

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2014, 11:43:32 »
I have voted!

:)

Offline GP

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2014, 20:32:55 »

A message from Richard Bournes Chairman of Friends of Chatham Traction

Friends of Chatham Traction - A Chance for £10,000 Grant application for restoration of GKE68 a 1939 Ex Chatham & District Double decker

A phone call last Tuesday advised us that we'd been selected from “hundreds” of entrants to the Yorkshire Building Society's Lasting Legacy Fund competition as one of the 30 chosen to go forward to the voting stage.

YBS customers, members of the public and YBS Group staff will now be choosing their 3 favourite charities from this shortlist and the 15 charities that receive the most votes will be awarded a donation of £10,000 each.

Details are at http://www.ybs.co.uk/legacy/index.html.

Please get voting, and tell your friends and relations, club members, work colleagues, anybody…….!!

The basis of our application was for funds to compete the first stage of chassis overhaul, to wheels, springs, bearings, steering etc, to produce a "rolling chassis".

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2013, 11:38:19 »
GKE64 and GKE72 were converted to tower-wagons in 1956 and transferred to Hastings Tramways as T2 and T1 respectively.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines