News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester  (Read 62257 times)

Lin Northover

Re: St Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 19:46:49 »
I worked on Spong Ward as a Student  nurse and then a staff nurse in 1971  under the wonderful Sister Nixey  who has now sadly passed on .Sister  Nixey was me role model mentor and friend until she died. I also remember and worked with Mr Tompkins ,Mr Jennings Mr girolami And of cours the Lovely  Dr Fisher Working on Spong and then onn the childrens ward when spong was closed and the childrens ward was transferred to Medway hospital were the most enjoyable days of my Nursing Career from which I am now retired

Linda Wright (Northover)

lingage

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 19:30:42 »
Hello val I remember you well, I was the ward clerk on Helen Lloyd ward, Hope you are well, I am still at barts with physio team. Not as it was, but still happy to be there, there are 3 wards all rehab after strokes, orthopedic,and medicine sometimes after surgery. I do remember Kath your ward clerk, have you seen her.Nice talking to you, Linda

peterD

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 21:37:25 »
Hi Jill.  Don't know if you remember me?  I think we went to P.T. S together at Greenwich in 1962.  I trained at All Saints but spent time on Gundulph ward for Orthopaedic experience.   In 1976 I became ward sister on Gundulph ward (medical ward) by this time. My name was Val Shearer when I was training, later becoming Val Dagnall.

lingage

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:23 »
I remember josephine she was a staff nurse and a good artist too, dont know where she is now ,a loveiy woman.Just what the children needed back then.

caholu

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 16:07:43 »
Dear Paetke,

You seem to have a great knowledge of St, Barts...I wonder if you can help? I was admitted into Spong Ward in 1964, aged 10 and stayed 4 weeks. I remember Sister Nixey very well. However, a Staff Nurse Josephine Willoughby remains in my thoughts to this day. I was seriously ill and just survived. Staff Nurse Josephine Willoughby came to my house in Sittingbourne to see me when i was discharged! I will never, ever forget that day.

Do you recall this modern day, "Florence Nightingale?"

Hoping you can!

Kind regards,

Ronnie Slade.

lingage

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 17:54:05 »
Dear paetke,    Do not rememer Rosemary, awful with names, but never forget a face,Sorry you can see i never had to do typing it was all hand writing when i was a ward clerk,And all notes are hand written, when we go over to computer with pts notes i hope i have retired by then.By the way i left out Scott when i said i would like to hear from anyone who remembers any of us, and any one else from St Barts.Is there anyone out there who remembers aunty from out patients.I remember a young Dr ,who thought he was the cats whiskers, he lived in the Drs residence, he said I am good cook please let me cook a wonderful meal for you,(i was a lot more alluring then) I said , how lovely ,what time would you like us to be there   a pause " we" he said Yes me and my husband. I have never seen anyone back track so fast.Well once again dont want to bore you. have to go feel lousy had the flu this has worn me out.Will talk more when i feel a bit better.Linda

paetke

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2010, 21:47:53 »
Lingage, do you remember Sister Rosemary Edridge??  A theatre Sister. Great person and taught me well.  She lived just around the corner from Mum's house and we often talked about the "good/old" bad days.

lingage

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 15:57:56 »
Paetke,The car park is at the back of the hospital, When i worked in the theatres in Barts I would get all the instrements ready for each op, that looked over the car park, id stand there day dreaming sometimes,any thing was better than going into the actual theatre which i had to do, as i then worked on the day surgery befor it all went over to mmhosp.I was much happier on the ward with awake patients, Id stand in theatre thinking any minute now i am going to do something wrong, i never did, and the boss Pat baker said i did very well.She was someone who workwise i looked up to, very strict but there, when it realy mattered well before i bore u rigid im going to shut up, lLinda.

lingage

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 15:39:51 »
Hello, William of Hoo Ward was mcCulloch ward, which was a male urology ward, Ludford Cooper ward was a male surgical, do u remember sister Curran a force to be reckoned with, Sheppy Tower was a male medical as was Gundolph, Watts ward a female medical ward.I too remember dr telfer in the path lab, in the 60s he would let me look through the microscope at the specimens which i loved, but shudered when i saw a Telfers meat pie for sale. Do either of u remember Ted  the porter he came into the hospital last year hardly looks any different.What about lovely Molly and aunty in out patients that would take you back,If they sell St Barts off and turn it into flats , I will have to buy one as i feel like its home. Best wishes Lindax

Barrowboy

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:50 »
hello Linda,
you don't know me, but reading your account of life at St Barts and the Medway brought back many happy memories. I too, like you, was a nursing auxilliary, first at Preston Hall in 1982 then at the Medway starting in 1984 with Marilyn Matthews on C2. I remember the surgeons you mention very well. In fact Mr Giralami did a hernia repair for me. When Marilyn retired (1999) I worked on Astley Cooper where I met your daughter Jane. Transferring to Trafalger ward I had the pleasure of working with Scott, who was ward manager. There was never a dull moment with Scott, he had a great sense of humour. Although I retired in 2007, I still keep in touch with friends I made at Medway.
Sue Towell

paetke

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 02:17:40 »
Dear Linda, I am very interested in your reply. your children have attained such great heights.  You must be very proud. No apologies required about Mum.  I understand the care she received was second to none..even if she thought otherwise. That was her!!   Now, tell me, I gather Mum was on "William of Hoo" ward. I looked up who he was, nasty end, poor chap, funny to name a ward after him. But can you tell me if that ward was made from one of the old existing wards?  If so, which one.  And what is the remaining areas of St. Bart's used for.  And, being me, I have to ask, where on earth do do park. When I was there there was a car park, to the north of the hospital, almost abutting the High Street. Not having a car at the time, it was of little consequence. But, these years later I do wonder how staff and visitors manage.
Till next time.

lingage

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 15:37:15 »
Sorry Paetke I meant to say i am so sorry about your mum,Linda

lingage

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 15:31:10 »
Hello Paetke, Yes i do remeber your mum, a nice lady, Sorry i made a mistake i put my maiden name down it was Gage in the 60s when i was a messenger, but have been married for 44 yrs and is now Smeed, silly me. My daughter worked also as a messenger then as a nurse at Barts her name is Jane ,she now works in the respiratory team. My son Scott is nursing Officer for medway hospital site.If anyone wants to ask any questions about St Barts I would be glad to answer them, love to hear from anyone who remembers me or Jane, Linda.

paetke

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2010, 21:45:24 »
Dear Linda.  I delight to read yours.  Thank you. You mentioned Medical Records. Sounds a bit boring but, as a Cadet Nurse did some time there.  It proved to be rather handy, as when in General Training, at night, a patient would arrive in casualty and I knew exactly where to find their records and X-Rays. You mentioned an "Annemarie". Was she later a theatre Sister?  You may have "run into" Mum.  She was in St. Bart's geriatric rehab in late 2006. Her name was Mrs. V. Paetke. A rather stubborn person. Then in her 90ies. She was profoundly deaf and whilst there her hearing aid went kaput.  I used to call every other day, from Vancouver, Canada, and my first question was to find out if her aid had been repaired.  I finally had a friend in Sussex to call and it was quickly sent to the Medway to be attended to.  I arrived in December.  Mum had been discharged home.  Very frail BUT the hearing aid was totally non-functional. We had to wait for a few weeks for an appointment to have a technician to help.  Which she did, so at least the last weeks of Mum's life she had a little hearing. Bye for now.

lingage

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 17:09:23 »
I worked in st barts a short while as a messenger in the early 60s then when my 2 children were 5 and 7 i worked in the records department with phil, jean, and jean butler aka royter, pat cayzer and  the lovely ellen , in 1978 i got the job as a ward clerk on Helen Lloyd a femail surgical ward.I had happy happy memories of a lovely ward and good friends, the patients were lovely and i enjoyed booking them in to the ward and chatting to them as i knew they were very nervous.The housemen registrars, and consultants stay in my mind,The three i remember when i first started there were:Mr Tompkin,Mr Girolami, and Mr Jennings,In the 6os I remember Miss Richards,N/O, Sister nixey, When i worked on Helen Lloyd ward at first it was Sister Cole, staff nurse Mayger a good friend, staf nurse Holder very good nurse, staff nurse Lorraine Cox , Ans a french staff nurse called Annemarie.Sister Thorn,A lovely foreign Sister on watts ward who sadly died and a Sister on Ludford cooper ward who also died who was smashing, Ileft in late 1990s to go over to Medway hosp,  to work on the sunderland day hospital at medway as a nursing auxillary.In 2002 I was so happy to return to barts to work with physios as a physio assistant tec 3.I am still there working with elderly rehab patients, i enjoy this very much with patients and collegues it is like a big family. Linda

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines