News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester  (Read 60667 times)

pilgrim

Re: St Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 16:21:19 »
I remember Barts A&E, very depressing, all green or brown tiles on the walls and only a touch of cream to lighten it up. Horrible place.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 16:11:31 »
Spong Ward - my mum, a retired nurse, remembers the ward but doesn't know who Spong was.
She does say that "It was the original childrens ward, and was regularly haunted by a 'grey lady' who appeared just before a child died!"

Also the currency change was 1971, but 10p and 5p pieces came into circulation much earlier, 1968, identical size to the 2-shilling and 1-shilling coins (and bigger than the current 10p and 5p). Also the 50p coin came in before 1971 and the 10-shilling note (that the 50p replaced) was withdrawn before 1971.
BBC has an article on the changeover day 15th Feb 1971 at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/15/newsid_2543000/2543665.stm

WildWeasel

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 22:45:08 »
Bugging me now...I was born Sep 1963 and started Infant school in Jan 1968 aged 4 years 4 months ...I know I was at school when I spent time in hospital as I was excused PE and played on it for months
( probably why I have been rubbish at Physical sports all my life :-) )

So it could have been 1969 or 1970...( What was the actual D-Day date ? when currency changed...)

This reminded me of a problem I had regarding school.... As I was born in early September I started Infant school in January 1968 ...
So they wouldnt allow me to go to Junior school at the same time as the rest of my class in 1970 as I would ha
ve ended up being too young to take my O levels by the time I reached Senior school...So in reality I should have  started in September 1969, gone to junior school in 1971 for 4 years and then on to Senior school in 1975...
Ended up doing another year at infants so I caught up with the system....As I had done all the work I ended up spending most of my time in the library reading which has shaped my life....Not a bad thing....
So from being the youngest in the school year I went to be the oldest...A bit strange as when I took my O levels in 1980 I was 16 years 9 months whereas some kinds in my class where still 15....or not much older than 16....

WW

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:21 »
Not impossible the preparation was going on a fair while before hand, so convertors  could have been about. I was in retailing then and I'm sure we were dual pricing  a good 6 months before D Day

WildWeasel

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 22:19:01 »
yeah you are right....As I get older I tend to forget timelines....The change was 71 so I was a little older than I remembered....

Excellent !

WW

aitch

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 21:44:23 »
I spent a week in Spong Ward in I think 1969

A little early for a currancy converter as we changed in '71.

WildWeasel

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 20:50:05 »
I spent a week in Spong Ward in I think 1969 ( Hernia Operation )   I remember my father bringing me a Pen with a kind of slide rule on it that converted Old Money to decimal currency.....
Yellow & Black device I can see it in my minds eye now.....I loved it !!!! Probably the first " Calculator/ Computer " I ever had my hands on...

That will Time stamp it !!!

WW

aitch

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 20:48:50 »
Thanks for the answers as to where the name spong came from

now I need to find out more about Mr. Vaugn Jackson

Anybody?????

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 18:04:18 »
May be just a coincidence. There was a merchant family by the name of Spong in Chatham in the victorian period. A Mr Spong used to ride his horse up to Brompton each week on business. On one such occasion he remounted his horse in Brompton High Street when for some reason it bolted and galloped straight down the High Street across Wood Street and through the gateway of the barracks. The horse contineus past the Officers Mess to a point where the road ended in a fearful drop of fifty-feet. Horse and rider landed shaken but unhurt and following a reviving brandy, or two, in the mess, Mr Spong remounted his horse and returned to Chatham. The place of his adventure is now known as 'Spongs Leap'. As a potentially wealthy family the Spongs may have been benefactors of the hospital hence the ward name.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 408
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 23:56:04 »
There is this:

New Road, Rochester.
Postcard photograph entitled The children's ward, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester showing the Catherine Spong Ward, looking along middle aisle and showing left to right, clockwise, wicker baby's cot, hospital beds, nurse and patient, doctor and sitting patients, patient on rocking horse, nurses, table, beds, flower arrangements and wooden cabinet and framed pictures on walls. On rear, message from unnamed author to Miss Nellie [cf. Eleanor, Helen or Ellen] Hewitt, Bunwell Hill, Norfolk, discussing hospitalisation of an Eva. Published by Lofthouse, Crosbie and Co., Tower House, Trinity Square, London EC. Couchman's accompanying notes suggest this ward had become Out-patients B Ward by 1988. Postmarked Gillingham 15 June 1915. p.25

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search&PathList=&SearchWords=de0402_10&DateList

aitch

St Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 20:24:07 »
I spent quite a lot of my childhood 1959 - 1968 in St. Barts hospital having operations on a twisted foot the ward I remember was called spong ward (spelling??) and my surgen was called Mr. Vaun Jackson can anybody throw any light on this for me??

His name spelling and the ward spelling would be a start???

thanks in advance

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines