News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pluckley Remount Depot  (Read 5591 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Pluckley Remount Depot
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:28 »
Thankyou Susan_F. An interesting article which confirmed what i recalled of the area which was that it would be unhealthy out on those fields.I see at least one poor soldier developed lung problems which later killed him.I know the amount of dung generated by a herd of cows and the problems of clearing it up,so this depot must have been quite a messy place with all those horses.

Offline Susan_F

• Appreciation 2
Kent Volunteer Fieldworker
War Memorial Archive
Imperial War Museum.

www.UKNIWM.org

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 18:30:12 »
That was another sad story.Those lanes would have been treacherous in those days with all that horse traffic.Bad enough with a tarmac surface nowadays.As a former farm hand and freight train guard i can just imagine the fun and games shunting the wagons back into the station goods yard and then loading the reluctant animals.Getting them on to a ship at Dover would have been a fair old task as well.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 17:13:03 »
Yes I think the animals were transported by train to the site which i believe was about here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.161436,0.77076&spn=0.005585,0.021501&t=h&z=16

There is some more information including some information stating the horses were put on the train from Pluckley to Dover:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4773.msg41689#msg41689

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 16:50:10 »
Hi Kyn. Would these animals have been shipped in and out via Pluckley railway station?It's only got an up and down platform now but i think there was a yard on the downside.Would Richborough Port be involved?I can't place where the depot was despite going through the station many times.Probably 1.5 miles away from the railway.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Pluckley Remount Depot
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 00:21:03 »
During the time of horses being vital for defence it was realised that there had to be a reserve of horses and mules ready for use by the Army, to ensure there were enough animals ready it was necessary to introduce a scheme for the registration of privately owned animals.  The owner of such animals could offer a number of horses and mules to the Army for purchase and received a subsidy towards the costs of keeping the animals.  The Remount Department was a small organisation with two men, the Assistant Inspectors of Remounts, in charge of purchasing the animals and one man in control of the Registration Scheme.  There were two Remount Depots, one in Dublin and one in Woolwich, Woolwich.  Each receiving newly purchased animals and stabling them until they were fit to be issued.  In 1891 the Army Service Corps took over responsibility of the Depots, this lasted until WWII when the Remount Service and Veterinary Service merged.  In the UK there were a total of 93,847 horses and 36,613 mules obtained by compulsory purchase.  The Pluckley Remount Depot was constructed in 1915, 1.5 miles from Pluckley, It consisted of a canteen, dining hut, officers quarters, a guardroom, accommodation, a horse isolation hospital, latrines, stores, blacksmiths, offices, stables plus many other buildings.  The depot extended 10 acres and was a huge undertaking.  The depot could hold up to 1000 animals which were transported by train.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines