News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: From Rochester to Gillingham  (Read 5575 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
Re: From Rochester to Gillingham
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 17:38:03 »
Thanks for the info numanfan!Chatham Central was the station i'd read about.When i was on the freight trains i never went down into Rochester Goods so i've only seen it from the main line.We don't use the Chatham line much now on trips to London but i see it's been cleared and grassed over near the river in your photo.The market i remember well.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:08 »
A lot of clearance gone on then numanfan where the railway sidings were.Was it Chatham Town Station at one time?

No, that would have been Rochester Stations goods yard & sidings. Rochester Station is a little to the right of my photo, & Chatham Central Station (now gone) was a little further to the right - and actually in Rochester!

The car park, almost central in the photo, is where Rochester Market was held.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:04:31 »
A lot of clearance gone on then numanfan where the railway sidings were.Was it Chatham Town Station at one time?I never went down there but it was still in use for many years.I can remember the tip of Chatham Ness was still tidal marsh with creeks in the '60's.Jaj's photo seems to show spoil dumped on the Ness.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 21:21:18 »

A similar view but more as i remember the area in the 1960's.I wrote the names for reference from a large scale map of the '60's.I think the cement works were still on Chatham Ness even if closed down but i'm not sure about that.The railway sidings were well used back then.Photo from "Guide to Kent" by John Thorne(Chambers)

merc

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:01:28 »
Nice familiar view Jaj  :) but the view across the Medway from there looks a bit different today.

Just up from the old Chatham Town Hall, on the hill, is now the Eye, apartment building.

The Frindsbury Peninsula, in the middle, is now well built upon for the Medway City Estate....and the industrial buildings on the Rochester Riverside have been demolished and is now an open area awaiting development.

jaj

From Rochester to Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 23:58:53 »
Another photo taken from Rochester Castle in 1981.  Looking from Rochester, across the tip of Frindsbury, over to Chatham and up to the Lines at Gillingham.  Be interested to see how it looks now from the same position, has it changed that much?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines