Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Newspapers  (Read 7768 times)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Old Newspapers
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 09:57:59 »
From approximately 1862 Sheerness has published two newspapers, one being the Sheerness Times and the other The Sheerness Guardian one of which has continued to this day .There was also a newspaper published for Queenborough with only a short run.
The Sheerness Library, in the High Street. has the complete set of  the two papers on microfilm.
Years ago, each year, a set of these papers were collected and bound in a large blue folder, some of these are preserved.They were kept in the old Library in Trinity Road but were transferred to Sittingbourne Library after the big flood but were returned to Sheerness a few years later.
I believe that they may be stored in the Gate House of Minster Abbey ??????
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:49 »
Gravesend Library has local newspapers on microfilm. The Gravesend Reporter goes back quite a way but not sure it was around in 1840. I believe there were one or two short lived newspapers too.
mmitch.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:28 »
Have a look at this Kent Council Library link, it may be of help to you, you need to register to use it...

http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/libraries/online-reference-library/newspaper-and-magazine-resources

smle0303

Old Newspapers North Kent
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 22:55:01 »
Does anyone know what newspapers were in circulation in Gravesend, Rochester and Dartford in the 1840 - 50 period. I believe it may have been the Kentish Gazette? Trying to find some railway related items.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 19:50:09 »

One of my husband's ancestors, in a census was listed living in a Beacon Road (Ospringe I think it was)  and the enumerator who had written out the census had written "BACON ROAD"

!!   but we knew what it meant !!

Ellenkate

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 19:41:26 »
Unless of course it should read Beacon Road ? might be a spelling mistake.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 19:19:38 »
Thought I new Luton well, but I don`t know Beston Rd.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
Old Newspapers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 18:12:39 »
Here is some information about old Dover and Kentish Express newspapers:
Enquire of your local library for details of where yours are held, originals or on film.

NEWSPAPERS:

Dover newspapers on film at Dover Reference Library, Dover Discovery Centre, Market Square, Dover, Kent, CT16 1PH (enclose sae for reply), telephone (01304) 204241 or: doverlibrary@kent.gov.uk. Newspapers there (on film) (not indexed), include:   Dover Express (started 1858), Dover Telegraph (started Nov 1833), Cinque Ports Herald for 1825-26,
a few other Dover papers (late 1800s, early 1900s), ie. Dover Chronicle, Dover Standard, Dove
r Times, Dover Observer, etc. Some of these papers include: Dover Chronicle 30 May 1840-Dec 1841, Dover Standard: 1901, 1910, 1914, 1919, 1925, 1927, 1930, part 1931; Dover Standard Kentish Advertiser & Colliery News for 1914 to 1919;
Dover Times 1905 to 1907, 1911 to 1914, Dover Observer 1896, 1898, 1899, 1902.  When sending an enquiry, give as much detail as possible, certainly the date if you wish to find an event.  If something is found in the newspapers, Dover Reference Library could no doubt supply a photocopy for a small charge.

Kentish Gazette newspapers  are on film at Canterbury reference library, The Beaney Institute, 18 High Street Canterbury CT1 2JF, telephone (01227) 463608.   I think at present (Jan 2010) the Beaney is undergoing renovation so don't know where they are at present.

Dover and Canterbury libraries can usually supply photocopies from their films.

Newspapers can also be consulted at the British Library of Newspapers:
web-site: http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/quickinfo/loc/colindale/index.html    E-mail: newspapers@bl.uk

Hope this may help.  
Newspapers are a fascinating source for history.

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines