News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Archbishop's Palace - Gillingham  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: Archbishop's Palace - Gillingham
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 22:11:13 »
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol4

Not sure whether you can open the above - for   Edward Hasteads History of Kent - Parish of Gillingham pages 226 onwards.

For those who haven't seen this before - it was published around 1790s and is very interesting

Offline Rayza

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 19:12:32 »
In 1966 the old vicarage was demolished to build the present one. In my youth I attended a church club which met in the cellars of the old vicarage. Behind the partition walls, but still visible, were some mediaeval walls in good condition if I remember rightly, complete with their windows. We were told at the time that they were part of the Archbishop's Palace. I presume those walls are still there below ground and buried under the 'new' house. Knowing the vandalism of 1960s builders, I wonder how intact they remained or whether they were just flattened.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 21:13:31 »
One wall of the palace remains standing in the grounds of the retirement home and, on the opposite side of the grounds is the chapel - largely intact but roof and windowless. No sign of graves when I went there and bearing in mind the SE chapel of the parish church is Grange Chapel for burials I imagine that within the manor grounds was purely a private chapel for worship and not burials. Anglo Saxon burials and Roman remains were found when the new estate (Archbishops Crescent) was constructed a couple of years ago.

Offline ETA

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 19:57:00 »

The Palace is long gone, but in the 19th century a barn stood near Grange Road, that was said to be the old refectory block for the palace.

Extract from Phippen (1862)

"Near the church in Straw Lane (now Grange Road), is an oblong square building 112 feet by 31 feet. This seems to have been an ecclesiastical building, it has arched windows of great antiquity. There have been four large windows on each side of the building, and others have been blocked up. The principal entrance appears to have been on the East side under a fine stone archway. I
t has long been used as a barn."

There are other sources which support this - Ireland (History of Kent, 1830) refers to an "achiepiscopal palace which adjoined the south side of the Church Yard" of which "scacely any remains...a large building of stone now used as a barn".  He points out that there were large chimneys at each end, implying the building's use as a great hall or kitchen.  Another Ireland - Samuel - wrote in 1973 the "The Manor of Gillingham formerly belonged to the Archbishops of Canterbury who had a stately home there; part of it is still remaining and serves as an excellent barn".

Offline ETA

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 19:40:49 »
OldSunset - I think the name Grange is much older, and nothing to do with the fact that there was a "grange" (French word) there (in fact the word "grange" could j
ust have easily applied to the Archbihop's residence, but more of that later).  I believ ethe word is a corruption of the Middel English "grenwic", a green living place - a farmstead.  I base this on the fact that the OED attributes the first use of the French "grange" in English to around 1300AD, whereas there was a "grenic" mentioned in the Domesday Book here.

You are quite right about the ruined chapel - I believe it was the family chapel of the Hastings's Grange manor, which, as has been mentioned above, was granted to the family which was given the town of Hastings after the Conquest.  The Hastings Arms is therefore explained.  Of note here is that this is the first (that I can find) record of the area's involvement with naval forces - Grange was required to supply 2 oarsmen to the Cinque Ports to fight at sea or ferry troops across the Chanel when required (again, I seem to remember the 2 oars on the pub sign, but I have no picture to support that.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 03:42:53 »
yes afar as i know it was built by the saxons on land near grange road...guess this was where grange name came from, picture c1790

Grange Road leads to what was Grench Manor, and is now Grace Manor retirement home.  It's at the other end of the road next to the new link road:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.38738,0.575801&spn=0.00154,0.004823&t=h&z=18

I *think* that's why it's called Grange Road.  There's apparently a ruined private chapel in the grounds, with some graves from the middle ages.

Grange Road carries on to join Lower Twydall Lane, where the old chapel was, roughly where the barns are now:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.382418,0.590816&spn=0.00154,0.004823&t=h&z=18

The hamlet of Grange, which is bordered by the same roads it always was, used to be owned by Sussex rather than Kent.  That's apparently why the pub there is the Hastings Arms.  I was quite surprised when Medway Council put the signs up around there to bring attention to it.

At least that's the bit I can remember from The Gillingham Chronicles - I can't get to the book at the moment as it's in a shipping container :)

oldsunset

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:36 »
makes sense why the saxon palace was built there then

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:41:15 »
Re the name 'Grange':

THE GRANGE, antiently called Grench, is a manor in this parish, a part of which has been accounted from the earliest times a member of the antient cinque port of Hastings, in Sussex,  whose civil as well as criminal jurisdiction extends over about one hundred and twenty acres of it. It appears from the certificate of Stephen de Pencester, constable of Dover castle, and warden of the cinque ports in the reign of king Edward III. that the Grench was bound to find one ship, and two able and well armed men to make up the quota of twenty-one ships, in each of which there were to be twenty-one able men
well armed to continue in the king's service for forty days.

Grange is also the site of one of the few discovered Anglo-Saxon burials in Gillingham, and is probably one of the oldest parts. I've seen it suggested that Grange may actually be the original (pagan) Anglo-Saxon settlement, and that it later moved to the area around the church, but I can't confirm this for sure.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

oldsunset

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:57:27 »
yes afar as i know it was built by the saxons on land near grange road...guess this was where grange name came from, picture c1790

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:34:22 »
Is this what is marked as "Site of Benedictine Monastery" on some of the old OS maps?

I posted a query about it here with examples of the maps: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6845.0
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

oldsunset

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:21:54 »

merc

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 13:17:54 »

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 21:14:51 »
I think the site of the 'palace' is where the bungalows are now.

merc

Archbishop's Palace - Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 21:09:17 »
There was once an Archbishop's residence at Gillingham, sited near St. Mary Magdalene, the parish church. Archbishop's often visited Gillingham in the middle ages as it was halfway between London and Canterbury, and near Rochester. The main building stood on the right hand side of the Green, towards the church. There is still some uncertainty whether the buildng was of sufficious status to be called a "Palace" but it is usually refered to as one.

The Palace is long gone, but in the 19th century a barn stood near Grange Road, that was said to be the old refectory block for the palace.

Extract from Phippen (1862)

"Near the church in Straw Lane (now Grange Road), is an oblong square building 112 feet by 31 feet. This seems to have been an ecclesiastical building, it has arched windows of great antiquity. There have been four large windows on each side of the building, and others have been blocked up. The principal entrance appears to have been on the East side under a fine stone archway. It has long been used as a barn."

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines