News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Factory Basin model  (Read 2870 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Factory Basin model
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 23:17:26 »

It is yet more interesting to learn that a handsome model of Chatham Dockyard, executed by two of the convicts of St. Mary's Convict Prison, was sent to the International Exhibition. The model is said to be one of the most perfect works of the kind ever executed ; and in addition to every portion of the old Dockyard, the whole of the Extension works, with the docks, basins, wharves, factories, workshops. etc, are shown to the minutest details. The execution of the model occupied the two convicts employed on it between two and three years to complete.
 From Reminiscences and Note of Seventy Years' Life, Travel, and Adventure; Vol ll by R G Hobbes. 1895. Page 460.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:31:47 »
I remember seeing it in 80s, nice to see the model again.

stewyrey,

Offline blade1

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:08:13 »
Hi!   It is Chatham dockyard. :)
This is a model of no 2 basin.This model has done the rounds as I remember seeing it on display at the Imperial War
Museum, London when I was about 8 years old. I`m now 38!  Really pleased to see it on here.

exdockyard

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 14:29:50 »
I would think this may not be Chatham as, no drydock had two entrances, and the east locks are only as wide as the caisson, the west lock which was also caissoned and had no steps, it may just be artistic licence

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Factory Basin model
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 21:36:28 »
I have just found a pic of this model that I took in the Science Museum in London in 2007.

The model was made in the Convict Prison during construction of the basin by the same convicts 1870.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines