News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester Police Station.  (Read 47390 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Rochester Police Station.
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 09:26:49 »
Thanks Leofwine and numanfan, that's the first new thing I've learned today, and it's only 20 past 9!

It ties in with the map in Reply#36, although the Police Station is shown at the side of the lane and not across the end as in the photo.

However, there is now another question, raised by the last photo. I remember Rochester having its own police force and, according to the Police Museum website, was not amalgamated with Kent Police until 1st April 1943 (April fools day - it was done deliberately to confuse us :)). See Reply#16.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 03:32:04 »
Not the police station, but I did find these which I thought might be of interest here too:

Photocopy of postcard photograph of group of four Rochester City policemen, wearing uniforms and looking at camera, left to right A.J. Blakely [?], E.W. Gilbert, A.B. Gibling and unknown subject. Original inscribed best wishes from your old chums. Before 1910

Photocopy of group photograph of officers and men of Rochester Division, Kent County Constabulary, photographed in six t
iered rows facing camera in an outdoors location, on occasion of their being inspected by Capt. Terry in the Corn Exchange, Northgate, Rochester on 12 July 1908.

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 01:59:46 »
I've just been looking at an old map of Rochester (c. 1770-1800) and think I can see the line of what would have been Court Hall Lane (dotted line), and possibly even the buildings shown in the Police Station photograph (inside the red circle).  In the photo they certainly look old enough to have been there by 1770. (Sorry the basic image is so fuzzy, I had to blow it up from a smaller one)

These buildings probably got demolished when Corporation Street was joined to the end of the High Street in 1903.
=========

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 00:57:08 »
Court Hall is the old name for the Guild Hall and Court Hall lane ran beside (or under) the Guild Hall

These images from the CityArk site, couchman collection help explain:

Lane can be seen on the right looking like an ally running under the building

Postcard photograph entitled The Guildhall, Rochester: here Pip was bound apprentice to Joe Gargery, Great Expectations looking towards the street frontage of the Guildhall from second storey o
f building diagonally opposite and slightly to the east, showing pavement, railings, colonnade, roofline and Court Hall Lane at right.

Tinted postcard photograph entitled The Guildhall, Rochester: here Pip was bound apprentice to Joe Gargery, Great Expectations looking towards the street frontage of the Guildhall from second storey of building diagonally opposite and slightly to the east, showing pavement, railings, colonnade, roofline and Court Hall Lane at right. Probably same exposure as above.

Photograph of street frontage of the Guildhall looking from second storey of building diagonally opposite and slightly to the east, showing pavement, raili
ngs, colonnade, ship weathervane, noticeboards on columns, roofline, Court Hall Lane at right and adjacent buildings. 6? x 4? (150mm x 100mm) c.1890

I think all 3 of the last images are the same exposure, so judging from the style of the postcard it has to be pre-1902, so the 1890 date on the 3rd one seems reasonable

An 1838 directory for Rochester lists a boarding school in Court Hall Lane:
Braddy, Richard, boarding and day-school, Court-hall-lane.
(I wonder if the buildings in the pic were ever the school before it became a police station?)
=========

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 21:27:10 »
Sorry, forgot to mention the previous photo is from "Rochester in Old Photographs" by Brenda Purle
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

john1971

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 15:09:19 »
The old castle police station was in use until about 1964-1966, according to my Dad who served in Kent Police 1966-1992, and remembers moving stuff into the 'new' nick at Cazeneuve Street.
I assume you are refering to the one on Castle Hill, shown in Reply#30. Do you know when this became a police station? There was a new one being built on Corporation Street, but this was abandoned when the war started in 1939.

You are correct, I was referring to the one near the castle. My Dad had no idea about the one being built in Corporation Street.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 22:11:49 »
The old castle police station was in use until about 1964-1966, according to my Dad who served in Kent Police 1966-1992, and remembers moving stuff into the 'new' nick at Cazeneuve Street.
I assume you are refering to the one on Castle Hill, shown in Reply#30. Do you know when this became a police station? There was a new one being built on Corporation Street, but this was abandoned when the war started in 1939.

john1971

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 21:51:41 »
Rochester City Police was amalgamated with Kent County Constabulary by the Defence (Amalgamation of Police Forces) Regulations 1942, although the merger happened in 1943. The old castle police station was in use until about 1964-1966, according to my Dad who served in Kent Police 1966-1992, and remembers moving stuff into the 'new' nick at Cazeneuve Street.

There was also a traffic garage in Gashouse Lane under the arches, which moved to the new Rochester Police Station when it was fully open.

It may be worth anyone interested in this subject contacting John Endicott, the curator of Kent Police Museum in the dockyard, who used to be based at Rochester, when he was still serving.

http://www.kent-police-museum.co.uk/core_pages/index.shtml

Regards

John

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 21:24:05 »
I'm sure there was never any sort of building in that part of the Castle Gardens. The police station on Castle Hill was almost exactly opposite. Also, the Library was at the opposite end of Northgate.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 18:42:43 »
Map showing the Police Station in the castle grounds.

rossco

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 07:14:53 »
Bit off-topic buit the photos have reminded me, if you look along the flank of the blue house to the right of the alleyway (left in the 2nd pic) you'll find something quite interesting... More info here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3466.0 :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 23:40:03 »
Hello Pilgrim and Numanfan,
It is still called Two Post Alley but is much wider, the buildings on both sides, including the overhang, having been demolished.
Woops, I've got the wrong place! Apologies.

I was looking at the wide gap between buildings in "About My Place" which is almost opposite the Old Corn Exchange. Two Post Alley is further along. In which case the building opposite looks like a large 4-storey one with an ornate frontage; is that what Pilgrim was referring to?

What date are we talking of? I was thinking of late 1930s/early 1940s, covering the time of the Police Station in Guildhall and Castle Hill and whether it had another location in the meantime. Now I'm wondering if it had another post-war location between being in Castle Hill and Cazeneuve Street.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 21:03:32 »
Hello Pilgrim and Numanfan,
It is still called Two Post Alley but is much wider, the buildings on both sides, including the overhang, having been demolished.
PS: Sorry, that bit is wrong, see next reply.

To summarise:
I know that Rochester Police had a station in the Guildhall, and that a new one was under construction when war was declared in 1939 and was put 'on-hold'and never completed). At some time it moved to what was originally the Liberal Club on Castle Hill (Reply#35). It then moved to the one (which has in turn just been demolished) in Cazeneuve Street and the Castle Hill premises were demolished in 1975.

I am trying to establish if and when the station had another 'home' between moving from the Guildhall and into Castle Hill.
The building almost opposite Two Post Alley, with the clock, was the Old Corn Exchange which was Council owned property, so could have been a station for Rochester City Police. PS: Bits of that last sentence are wrong as well. However, Rochester Police force was absorbed into Kent Police in 1943 and I thought, perhaps wrongly, that it was about then that the Castle Hill premises was brought into use.

pilgrim

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 19:40:58 »
Sorry to mislead you, perhaps it's not called Two post alley. It's the alley that goes from Mollycoddles(I think that it was a travel agents in the 60's) in the High st to the dog leg in Castle hill. You can't miss it just look for the overhang in the side of the building.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 17:46:50 »
Hi Pilgrim,
Are you saying it was in the High Street where the building with the clock is?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines