News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lipton/s grocers Rainham  (Read 12774 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: Lipton/s grocers Rainham
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 16:29:39 »
Note also the cash till, which for some odd reason is perched on a box in full view outside of the shop. It could be that around this time mechanical tills were starting to become widespread, so perhaps it was a new acquisition that was being proudly shown off to demonstrate just how up to date the company was.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 14:45:01 »
I well remember Liptons in Gillingham High Street, just before you got off the bus (ours was the 19 - Cemetery to Hoo) near the station - or was that Maypole? They were both there plus the International and David Greig - which was the biggest. This was in 1935 onwards. I moved away in 1953 but I'm sure it was still there on my return - briefly - in 1966-68. 

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:34 »
What I like about that photo is the Xmas Club notice just reminds me how most in my area used to put money on a card  in the local butchers for the big Xmas meat feast also your local pub would also run a tontine for Xmas. Always remember the payout nights the pub was packed out as we all collected our tontine, good old days when even low paid workers could still afford a pint.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 08:09:24 »
Also interesting to see that all the aprons have a frilled lower edge. Could this be something to do with the butchering?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 20:33:26 »
Gillingham Lipton's circa 1910. Interesting how all the staff appear to be male.

ben-rainham

Re: Lipton/s grocers Rainham - Gillingham / Chatham
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 21:43:19 »
Does anyone remember the Lipton/s or indeed have pictures of the stores on the Rainham Road & Watling Street A2 Gillingham/Chatham around 1970's. My Mother worked there and progressed to manager up until the store closed early 1980's

Some of the names she mentioned that other staff/stores might remember Smith, Willcox & Cherry.

broadsword

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 12:03:23 »
Rainham Liptons is indeed now a furniture shop. I worked there up until early 1977 in the provisions dept, mainly boning sides of bacon, cutting/slicing other meats and cheese. All fresh as requested by customers, non of your prepacked stuff.

Ironically I left there to work at Bowaters which now is Tesco.

:)

Barrowboy

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 18:29:12 »
The Liptons branch in Rainham was situated on the A2 just along from the Cricketers pub. Originally the building was the local cinema, the Royal, but is now occupied by Luckhursts.  When we moved here we did not have a car, so on the Friday evening, when we arrived at Rainham station from London, we would select all our shopping and place it in large brown paper bags. Liptons would then deliver it the following morning in a grey Ford Transit van.

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 19:31:09 »
Think you'll find Liptons were bought by Argyll who renamed them Presto, Argyll eventually bought out Safeways and renamed Presto as Safeway.
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:18:18 »
I thought International then Gateway-Sommerfields -Coop

Galgo23

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:27:52 »
Didn't Liptons get swallowed up by Presto supermarkets?

aitch

Lipton/s grocers Rainham
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 22:39:18 »
I had a mate at junior school who's dad was the manager of the Lipton's grocers shop in Rainham high street - anyone else remember Liptons? this was in the early 1960's

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines