News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Littlestone Water Tower  (Read 5624 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
Re: Littlestone Water Tower
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 13:13:44 »
I knew I'd seen the tower on here somewhere. We were at Littlestone on Sunday, can't say the sky was the same blue though, it was very grey and choppy there. It's a very interesting home but aren't those bricks weathered, wouldn't want the job of repointing  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Littlestone Water Tower
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 20:11:34 »
Constructed in 1890 to provide water for a planned seaside resort including the Golf Club at Littlestone however the resort did not attract enough people and the plans were soon dropped with plns to construct a pier which was later built at Eastbourne instead.  The water tower soon proved to be a mistake when it was found the water contained too much sea water to be used.  The tower shows signs of wartime use but so far I have found no information about this and I guess it was used as an observation post.  Instead of demolition the tower was converted into a home and some lucky people have an interesting house with an excellent view!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines