News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cubs and Scouts  (Read 50706 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
Re: Cubs and Scouts
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 10:33:44 »
Just moving the thread eastwards a bit.  I was in 2nd Canterbury Scouts.  When I first joined, the headquarters were in the undercroft of the Eastbridge Hospital, High Street, Canterbury.  An amazing atmosphere with some 'games' played in total darkness.

A purpose built headquarters was later built in Sturry Road but it lost the great atmosphere of the undercroft.

Had many good times while a member including a camp in Bedgebury Forest.

JW

Jim Bell

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 09:38:16 »
 :) I was in 12th Medway West in 1960's, based in Wouldham.
Had great fun camping at Buckmore Park.

petermilly

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 19:17:35 »
I was at the 24th Medway West, Borstal. Early 60s.

Offline CHANTALIAN

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 18:18:01 »
AlanH,  It was the 51st Medway West (St Justus) scout troop. As you so rightly recall it used to meet in Fleet Road and then moved in 1960 to a hut next to the shops on the Fairway.

The main mover of the group, in my time, was Dave BREWER. He was the Scoutmaster and later became the Senior Scoutmaster. In the early 60's the group was very large having three cub packs, two scout troops, one senior scout troop and some venture scouts.

Cyril WHITEHEAD wa the district Commissioner you were thinking about. He lived on Priestfields.

Many, many fond memories of this time and the people.

medwayboy

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 20:08:47 »
I was a member of the 17th Medway West scout group until 1960 when I left to join the Army, it was then run by Skipper Peter Gardener sm. and Ron Goldsmith asm.
We had great times and good camps, British Bulldog outside in the field where the hut was located.
                      Ken Blackman

Ratty

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 14:04:48 »
I remember the visit of the Dutch Scouts and I am probably one of the boys in the photo but can't tell which one.  We used to have great wide-games on that field attcking the pavilion with flour bombs or defending it with Fairy liquid bottle water guns.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 18:58:19 »
I was a member of the 9th Sheppey which was the Sheerness Tech. School troop. It was run by Brian Palmer, 'Biffo' Jackson and Terry Spice, all teachers at the school. The attached photo was taken in 1968 or 9 at the school`s playing field at Seager Road on the occasion of a visit from a Dutch scout troop.

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 09:04:25 »
I was in the 51st (or 52nd) Medway West I think they were called. Had a hut nearly opposite the Fairway on Fleet Road Rochester. They built houses there years ago and my BiL and MiL lived there for some years.
Chief Scout I think was named Whitelaw possibly, or Whitehead and if he saw lads trudging up Maidstone Road, Rochester on the way to Buckmore he'd give us a lift in his old Jag.
One of our older members was named Don Bessant, from fading memory, and he became an art teacher (I think) and his girlfriend was an actress named Julie something .....totally forgotten now.
My hat always had a bendy brim for some reason.
AlanH.

alec ludlow

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 22:13:42 »
Thank you so much for your reply Lutonman.

I would liked to have seen the old hut within the new!

Alec.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 21:25:43 »
The 17th Medway still meet in the hut at Luton. Although a replacement hut was built on the outside of the first hut and then the original was taken down inside of it. Clever idea.

alec ludlow

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 22:12:44 »
As far as I know, there is still a scout hut opposite Luton Rec, near the Waggon at Hale pub. Is that the one?

Yes, that would be it Bilgerat. Maybe a hundred yards or so along from the pub but on the other side of the road.
Thank you.

Alec.

alec ludlow

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 22:10:41 »
My wife, who lived in Sydney Road until 1952, says the Ravenscrofts lived in the first house in Mills Terrace.....

Thank you for that Peterchall.
I had the feeling that they lived just off Luton Road rather than on it. Mills Terrace...yep, that would be right!

Kind regards.

Alec.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 21:51:33 »
As far as I know, there is still a scout hut opposite Luton Rec, near the Waggon at Hale pub. Is that the one?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 21:27:41 »
My wife, who lived in Sydney Road until 1952, says the Ravenscrofts lived in the first house in Mills Terrace, that has its side wall flanking Otway Street. We both think the scout hut is still in Capstone Road, but don't know if it's still used by Scouts
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

alec ludlow

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 20:04:46 »
Although this is an old thread, hopefully someone might have a comment or two.

I enjoyed a brief time in the Wolf Cubs. Our troop was the 17th Medway West which met in the scout hut along Capstone Road.
I haven't been there for many, many years.
Can anyone tell me, is the hut still there (I'd be surprised if it was)?

I was there around 1958/1959. I dimly remember the Akela was a rosy cheeked lady, I believe by the name of Mrs Ravenscroft.
Again, from the absolute bottom of my memory, I think she had a daughter who was in the Girl Guides. Her hubby, who we all called "Skip" (or Skipper) also helped to run the troop. The family lived somewhere along/off Luton Road.

Yes, they took us all to "camp" at Buckmore Park and of course we sang all about "The old Dun cow" (or something like that) as well as doing our "Ging gang goolies" around the midnight campfire.

Any one else here remember the troop, its leaders or was maybe a fellow cub?

Alec.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines