News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cubs and Scouts  (Read 49417 times)

Offline ballysheil

• Appreciation 1
Re: Cubs and Scouts
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 22:44:33 »
I went to Cubs in Southhill Barracks, Chatham and then Scouts in Boundary Road, Chatham but can`t remember the troop names or numbers, anyone remember?

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 16:38:48 »
My sons were at Beavers and Cubs in the 90's, one was at the 19th Gillingham at the United Reform Church, the younger on at 5th Gillingham, St Augustines.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 14:25:25 »
I may act like it seafordpete but I certainly don't feel like it..today I could add an 0 on the end of that 10  :)

seafordpete

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 14:16:46 »
I was a cub in the 2nd Woolwich, Dib Dob, and I still have my first certificate from the cubs for winning one length freestyle aged 9 and a half. :)

Yeah but you're onl 10 now!!!  :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 14:11:48 »
I was a Cub in the 2nd Woolwich, Dib Dob, and I still have my first certificate from the cubs for winning one length freestyle aged 9 and a half. :)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 14:01:26 »
I was in the 12th (Garrison) Scouts for a while until I got kicked out for building a big fire (hey, isn't that what scouts are supposed to do?)  I then went to a troop in Rainham for a while but can't remember the number.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 13:21:50 »
I was in 1st Gillingham (the one by St Lukes Church) Cubs. I got my Bronze Arrow too.....
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:54:50 »
I obtained a silver plated cup/trophy today which is marked Presidents Cup, 23rd Troop, Dover Boy Scouts and I wish to find out more about it. I had a look on Google and the maker dates it to before 1940 (RSP Co, RAENO) but can find nothing on this scout troop in Dover.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 06:27:14 »
aitch the church hall you went to cubs in is in Third Avenue opposite Robert napier School. Although it was the grammer school back then. I was a scout there circa '63 sadly it closed and so I transefered too the troop in Goudhurst Road Twydall

I think that was the 18th Gillingham (Twydall) troop.

nickdykes

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 21:52:03 »
I was a member of the Cubs and Scouts at St. Augustine`s Church in the hall in the 80s with Gay the pack leader and also remember Robin too. Loved my time there.

Offline skipraider

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 13:31:20 »
I was a member of the 18th (I think) Gillingham Cubs, who met at Fairview Junior School, Wigmore. This would have been in the early 1970s.

I stayed long enough to get my Bronze Arrow badge, but left in disgust after having an argument with Arkela during my attempt at silver. One of the questions I was asked was this - when cooking food on an oven hob, should the handle of the saucepan be pointing out (ie. away from the centre of the hob), or in. My answer was out, and when asked why I explained that there are often more than one ring in use when cooking and turning the handle in would potentially cause it to be heated such that it could be dangerous to hold.

Arkela told me that this was the wrong answer and that saucepan handles should always be turned inwards in case there was a toddler or small child in the vicinity who might reach up, grab the handle and spill the boiling contents of the pan over themselves.

Despite the fact that I thought my answer was a perfectly valid one (and still do), backed up with a logical and reasonable explanation, and also that when asked the question I had not been made aware of the presence of small children in said scenario, I was denied my Silver Arrow.*

I think this early traumatic episode may well have sown the seed of a deep mistrust of authority figures in my young mind.

I also vaguely remember attending a camp fire event at Buckmore Park but felt very left out because they were all singing songs I didn't know.

I guess I just wasn't cut out for that kind of thing.

* (there may well have been other reasons, but the bitterness of age has singled this out)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:31:36 »
I was a member of the 3rd Gillingham Cubs (1964-66) who met at St Augustine's Church Hall next to the Vicarage at the top of Rock Avenue. 

strangelights

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 21:13:25 »
I was in the 10th of Dover group at Northbourne Ave., Dover, probably around 1973-74. I recently attended a party in the same scout hall which some relatives had hired for the evening. What amazed me was how little the hall has changed inside. Its like stepping into a time warp. Even the old boiler and heating system is still in there and its still working! I think the scout hut is called Rowelyn hall ??

torpointblue

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 19:36:45 »
aitch, the church hall you went to Cubs in is in Third Avenue, opposite Robert Napier School. Although it was the grammer school back then. I was a scout there circa '63, sadly it closed and so I transefered to the troop in Goudhurst Road, Twydall.

Merv

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 14:02:55 »
I could never commit to any long enough, I get bored and my own life was more adventer anyway.
But briefly  went to a Cub/Scout Group in Rochester of the Delce, also the Army Cadets in Fort Clarence and the Royal Marines in Pembroke...
I do feel more promotion of these is needed though in schools and the like, kids don't know what they are missing out on...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines