News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arches at Victoria Gardens  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Arches at Victoria Gardens
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 15:17:10 »
That could make sense - the larger one faces towards Rochester and the one with the more curved bottom/top towards the dockyard. The smaller one then must face towards er...........somewhere SW!

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 14:15:13 »
I can't remember EXACTLY what these look at, however if you line your self up in the individual arches they focus on a certain point in the landscape. One i beleive is St Mary's Chruch on Dock road, not too sure about the others, Maybe the castle / cathedral area. Someone will know exactly.

rossco

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 14:15:07 »
I remember hearing/reading one represents a ships hull (facing Chatham Dockyard) and another (facing Rochester) represents arches from the Castle or Cathedral. Not too sure on the 3rd, I think thats where you're meant to stand to get that impression. Or something.

I may also be completely wrong! :)

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 13:46:17 »
But if there is nothing to tell you what/why  they are  there for whats the point?

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 13:46:07 »
They're Millenium Arches, put there to celebrate the Millenium. I think they were the winning design in a competition they had.

Thanks Merc, mut have had my eyes shut for the last 10 years then!  :).

Be nice to have seen that on a board somewhere tho and an internet search didnt help any either.

merc

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 13:43:35 »
They're Millenium Arches, put there to celebrate the Millenium. I think they were the winning design in a competition they had.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
Arches at Victoria Gardens
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 13:16:50 »
Is it me or do some things just appear with no explanation.

These are at Victoria Gardens of Fort Pitt Hill. They are clearly modern being secured with bolts and plates with rough cut electric sawn timbers. Two appear to look like upturned boat hull sections and one is more rounded. I couldn't find any info board or clue as to what,why, when but don't think they were there a couple of years ago.

Anyone know the who, what, why, when etc?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines