News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beer Bottle Stoppers  (Read 22065 times)

NWAG DIGGER

Re: Beer Bottle Stoppers
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 14:40:11 »
You can find a refeence to  Wooden stopper on our website
http://northwag.org/joomladev/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=79
Here is part of the text.
“The internal screw stopper was the brainchild of Henry Barrett around 1870 and took the place of the cork on most beer bottles. Up to this point most beer was sold from the cask but with this excellent method of reusable closure bottled beers really took off. The embossing of beers as a form of advert was widely used so it followed on that the stoppers carried company names and trademarks also. In answer to the question “Were unique stoppers used for each company ?” The answer is basically “Yes “and I have taken a photo of a few of mine to show this please see below. An American invented the Crown cap in the 1890's and this came into use on our beer bottles after the turn of the century but being of 'once only use' it is found mainly on half pint bottles, pints and especially quarts used the resealable screw stopper.”
My text in report
The stopper is made from turned wood  with the grain clearly visible. The edge is milled at about 2 mm intervals. There is no sign of it having been embosssed with a name but the hole for the lathe spindle is visible.  Perhaps this represents an early type later superceded by moulded ones. Traces of a red rubber sealing ring remain. It could not have been in use prior to 1870.

Top diameter. 2.5 cms
I indicate a date for historical reasons of :- 1870 to 1884. I havn't included the whole text but you may like to read it in full anyway and explore our popular website.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 16:53:31 »
Found a sign anyway!

The product was a fizzy lemonade type drink, pre-dating the appeal of Coca Cola, which although on sale in the USA, did not go on regular sale in the UK until the 1920s. 1d Monsters get a mention in George Orwell's 'Coming Up For Air':

"And what about Penny Monsters? Does one ever see a Penny Monster nowadays? It was a huge bottle, holding more than a quart
of fizzy lemonade, all for a penny. That's another thing that the war killed stone dead."
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

seafordpete

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 16:44:29 »
Corona got eaten up (or should i say drunk) by Beechams and then Britvic. There was a massive amount of brand shuffling in the 1970s Britvic/Bass/Whitbread set up Britania Soft drinks which then had R Whites, Pepsi, Rawlings etc. 

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:52 »
Yes I should say so Islesy..Corona now that is a company I have not heard of in long while. Some breweries brew a beer or larger under licence and I should imagine this is a similair kind of set up nowadays. Where we lived at Plumstead Mackintosh were the Local company that came round our streets and R. Whites were the biggest name in the shops.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 12:03:54 »
Making them something akin to Corona in the 1970s then Sheppey Bottles?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 10:24:46 »
Monster was a franchise type company and I myself have found these stoppers in the past along with plain bottles with no town name but Monster heavily embossed down the side. You see quite a few enamel signs with just the word 'Monsters' on them...anyway if you click this link below and scroll down there is good info and lovely pictures...

PS... Do not have a clue re three impressed dots in the vulcanite? top and have not seen them on other tops as far as I can remember and I have got a few.

http://www.diggersdiary.co.uk/Articles/ArthurParishMorton/Morton_Boston.htm

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 09:43:51 »
I wouldn't think so CDP, they're quite shallow and show no signs of wear but I'll reserve judgement until someone that knows more on the subject comes along.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 21:37:58 »
Are the three dots for use with a special  tool to open and close the MONSTER stopper tightly ? That was my first thought when I saw the holes. ( Leverage and all that !)
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 20:44:30 »
I haven't managed to unearth any info on this particular stopper. Discovered amongst building waste dating from the 1930s to '50s, including that of at least one pub (Leney's/Rigden's).

Mark on the top is "MONSTERS" with 3 dots below it. I have other bottle finds from this site which I'll post up once they've cleaned.

Can anyone offer any more background/history?

Merv

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 23:46:13 »
A Guy called Phil Bennet and his Father were has far as I know still taking part in Shrimper Races and maintaining old boats.
Phils Father had the cricketers pub a few years ago and I believe Phil still is a Landlord of another in Gravesend

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 23:13:57 »
Gravesend was the centre of the local Shrimp fishing industry through the 1800's and up to quite recent..it may still be carried on there as I seem to remember Shrimps coming ashore near the Ship and Lobster? at Denton in ther early 1970's when we fished near the Sea School stretch.. The type of boat used was called a bawley and I have had a look through my books to see if the name Russell ties in with any boat owners or traders but nothing found. it looks like they ran the brewery instead of fishing. So that is why the brewery has a Shrimp as it's trademark I should think.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 18:52:32 »

Thank you Sheppey Bottles for the info on Russells Brewery of Gravesend, which was started by a John Russell c.1858. 
Still interested to know why they called it "Shrimp Brand".

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 17:04:59 »
My new find fits nicely into my last one: This Elveys Mineral water bottle,
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

seafordpete

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 16:53:51 »
There was some link to Fremlins with Dove Pett & Phillips, when I joined them in 1970 the Head Brewers Secretary was Mrs Phillips who was of that firm

Merv

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 16:50:27 »
Dove Phillips and Petts, of Strood were still ueing them stone ones in the 60's

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines