News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beer Bottle Stoppers  (Read 22080 times)

seafordpete

Re: Beer Bottle Stoppers
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 16:01:46 »
The "stone" ones coulg be ginger beer etc or from stone hot water bottles, one large stopper, 1 small one

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 15:54:20 »
I am sure you are right seafordpete most of the bottles had a machine invented to fill and stopper them, the codd ( globe stopered bottle) had various machines to fill it, turn it over and seal it etc. The chisel top lends itself to a mechanised action..I will try and dig it out and put a picture on and the stone versions as well. I am sure I have some adverts for bottle filling machines as well but I am a bit of a hoarder and very disorganised so don't hold your breath :) and the rest of you stop yawning.

seafordpete

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 15:27:29 »
I have one of those wooden ones somewhere seafordpete..they are very uncommon. If I remember correctly the wording is inscribed into the wood top and mine has this filled in with a red colour but I cannot remember if it is a Kent company or not. I also have a couple that are made from glazed stoneware which probably were made for stone ginger beer bottles rather than glass. There is another vulcanite version which again I have somewhere that has a chisel shaped top, Rileys patent I think it is called..gave you a better grip to open I think
the idea was!

PS..  picked up an old sign recently for Martins Pale Ale brewed by Simmonds of Reading..strange ehh.

As you say worded on the top, no trace of colour infill but it was out of the sea so may have been. I wonder if the Riley top was a move to mechanise the capping? Normal method was by hand using a "flogger" a thing a bit like a sail makers palm that had a wedge shaped grip  to it didn't matter where it fitted. Bottle held in the left hand and twisted anticlockwise, top in the right and twisted clockwise so it was a quick operation. Bottling hall women had BIG muscles

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 14:37:16 »
I have one of those wooden ones somewhere seafordpete..they are very uncommon. If I remember correctly the wording is inscribed into the wood top and mine has this filled in with a red colour but I cannot remember if it is a Kent company or not. I also have a couple that are made from glazed stoneware which probably were made for stone ginger beer bottles rather than glass. There is another vulcanite version which again I have somewhere that has a chisel shaped top, Rileys patent I think it is called..gave you a better grip to open I think the idea was!

PS..  picked up an old sign recently for Martins Pale Ale brewed by Simmonds of
 Reading..strange ehh.

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:03:40 »
We had a wooden Simmonds Reading brought into the museum last year, a beach find. Only ever seen vulcanite before

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:30 »
Glad your happy Isley, they come from various sources fairs, boots, bottle digging friends and a few I have dug myself..although most of the old dumps have dried up now as they have been built on etc and I aint as young as I used to be. Most of my digging around is on good old Ebay :)

ellenkate, there is very little info about on these companies but I have found this basic stuff in one of my books..maybe someone local to Gravesend has researched the history but I have not...sorry. I know it is the lazy way to do it but here is the page from an excellent book called Bygone Breweries by Keith Osborne and published by Rochester Press. ISBN
 0 905540 77 8. Hope that is of some help to you.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:47:26 »
Ive got a Tizer one :)

Its square at the top,Theres thousands of them at Surrey Docks,London.  All types, bottles aswell bot not flaggons.
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:33:02 »

Hello Sheppey Bottles -
Interesting bottle stoppers - have you any information on the "Russells of Gravesend"  Shrimp Brand?  firm?  And who ran it ? 
I am always interested in any Russell families connected to shellfish, my Russell ancestors were, in various parts of southern/eastern england, oyster and shellfish dealers.
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:01 »
That's fantastic info sheppey_bottles, exactly what I was hoping for. Great collection by the way, are they all as a result of digging rubbish dumps/glass dumps? Love to join you if end up in this part of Kent.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:01:23 »
This is the first 'war grade' stopper I have seen so cannot give you any history on it i'm afraid. These stoppers are made of a hard rubber which I think was called vulcanite and they had a soft rubber sealing washer, my thought is that rubber was in short supply so all the rubber went to the war effort and bottle stoppers used maybe an inferior material for a while..just a thought.
The internal screw stopper was the brainchild of Henry Barrett around 1870 and took the place of the cork on most beer bottles. Up to this point most beer was sold from the cask but with this excellent method of reusable closure bottled beers really took off. The embossing of beers as a form of advert was widely used so it followed on that the stoppers carried company names and trademarks also. In answer to the question were unique stoppers used for each company the answer is basicaly yes and I have taken a photo of a few of mine to show this, please see below. An American invented the Crown cap in the 1890's and this came into use on our beer bottles after the turn of the century but being of 'once only use' it is found mainly on half pint bottles, pints and especialy quarts used the resealable screw stopper.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Beer Bottle Stoppers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 20:13:59 »
Not specific to Kent I know, but the county has had so many breweries etc. During a recent 'off piste' foray, Unfairytale and I came across a couple of threaded bottle stoppers from brown glass bottles that we presumed were beer bottles (just the remains of the necks unfortunately).

They're made of a sort of bakelite type material, and are marked "War Grade". Does anyone (I'm looking at you particularly Sheppey_Bottles!!), know any history behind these?

So this got me thinking...would different breweries have unique bottle stoppers,
or would they be stock items?

I hand the floor over to.....
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines