News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Volunteer fire brigade station, Strood  (Read 3738 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Volunteer fire brigade station, Strood
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 14:35:53 »
Well done Numanfan!

I had no idea that this was once a Fire Station! The Rochester Volunteer Fire Brigades Main Station was in The Common under the Railway Arches. The Station that covered Strood during the War was opposite the Coach and Horses Pub. I wonder when they closed it?

Re When did Volunteering cease? Effectively, when all the pre-war Professional and Volunteers Brigades, together with the AFS, were unified to form the National Fire Service in August 1941 although there were still some part-time members in the NFS. They were identified by having single-breasted tunics while the full-time members had doubl
e breasted ones.

We still have "Volunteers" today. It's called the Retained Service.

Merv

Re: Volunteer fire brigade station, Strood
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 23:59:22 »
Ibelieve it is still in use for building materials,it was owned by the Ripley family for years

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Volunteer fire brigade station, Strood
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 22:46:09 »
I came across this on CityArk:
The former Rochester City Council volunteer fire brigade station, Station Road, Strood

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=ShowImg&Img=/cityark/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_13.html/DE402_13_52.jpg

Apparently in use from 1899, not sure when they stopped volunteering :)

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines