News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Watts Place/ Argos/Bates/Bentalls Dept Store Chatham  (Read 22448 times)

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
Re: Watts Place/ Argos/Bates/Bentalls Dept Store Chatham
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 23:29:28 »
My memory is that it was 50-50 Bate's and Sainsbury's. My mum moved to Sainsbury's there from Fine Fare in about 1972 and I remember the Christmas parties upstairs for the children.
When Sainsbury's moved to the Pentagon store it stood empty for a while, then Green Shield stamps had it as well as the shop on New Road where the repo furniture store is now. Bate's had been sold to Bentall's, GS Stamps became Argos who then took over the whole store.

anneb

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 16:37:46 »
I remember having to go there for my Chatham Grammar School uniform. We couldn't get it anywhere else and had to have all the equipment and badges from there too. Bowler hats, blazers, blouses, summer dresses all from there and regulation skirts. Much easier nowadays with supermarkets selling uniforms.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 12:09:34 »
Hi Patmore, yes it was.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

patmore

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 12:02:25 »
I remember my Father referring to an area of Chatham High St. as 'Broad Pavement' when I was very young, was this as I suspect another name for Watts Place?
                     James

Rex

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 20:34:48 »
i worked there in the 70s as washerup -er  in the restaurant each saturday. When the restaurant was run by Reggie the manager from the central R&B club.
Also used to do the dinner dances at the Corn Exchange, Rochester ...  come to think of it, anyone on here called Janice!!

oldsunset

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 03:27:02 »
we had to go there to buy my school uniform, you could only get fort pitt uniform from bates in the 70's...cost my dad 3 months wages !! nearly 200...to think you can get uniform for 10 in asda thesedays...we had to have bowler hats, macs, hockey kit etc...poor dad he saved up so hard

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 21:11:48 »
That's the pic peterchall, I remember there was a furriers on that corner of Holborn Lane when Bates was there, only ever managed to buy a suede mini skirt in there though  :). was the height of fashion in the late 60s, I've tried dredging the memory for the Green Shield shop on New Rd, and think it was where the Reproduction furniture shop ( now empty) was , I've asked
hubby and he thinks the same, but it had been where Argos is at one time.

What a good name for the photographers studio, Sticky Backs, still got old albums with them in.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 20:43:14 »
Thanks everyone. Lyn L, is this the photo you mean? Taken about 1916.

The Globe pub, on corner of Globe Lane, is just visible at far right. Watts Place is by the white shop, and Holborn Lane is by the building with the rounded corner behind the farthest cart.

Therefore the site of the present Argos building is more or less the bit covered by the parked carts and fits Numanfans map. I imagine it stayed like that until demolition for the Bates/Sainsbury's building. Re the side entrance to Sainsbury's from Globe Lane; I think there was a special counter in there where we collected the Xmas chickens. I still seem to remember Green Shield being in there at some stage, otherwise why did thinking about that building trigger that memory? However, I seem to be outnumbered and even Mrs P is not sure. So please Seafordpete & Lyn L, put me out of my misery and tell me where the High Street and New Road shops were :)

Offline sharmuk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 19:39:44 »
This National Archives article gives some history of Bates and says the store moved to Watts place in September 1963: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=051-u2132&cid=0#0
"He's the hairy handed gent who ran amuck in Kent"

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 19:24:07 »
If you go to City Ark and look at Couchman Images, from Boundary Lane to Railway St, Chatham, image 89 (of 93) shows where I think the Argos store is today. I'm pretty sure it's the right place, the pic is c 1916-1920.

I remember when Bates had the shop there, my neighbours d-in-law was a buyer there, and also Sainsbury's , they had a side entrance onto Globe Lane too, doorway is still there.  Also seem to remember the Green Shield stamp shop being on New Road and it was a lot easier when the big stamp came, they didn't taste wonderful just can't remember if I got anything with the stamps now ?
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 17:23:56 »
Go to this link and search for 'Chatham High Street', then to Image 50 (Page 9). It shows the 'Argos' site in 1984, after joint ownership by Bates and Sainsbury's but then owned by Bentall's. Note the 'For Sale' sign. Who bought it?
http://www.medway.gov.uk/medwayimages/

Regarding the time before the Bates/ Sainsbury's occupation:
I've found a picture of the old Bates department store further along the High Street. The write-up says that they were moving in 1964 to their new premises, where Watts Place once stood.
Who was there before 1964? Did Green Shield Stamps share it with Sainsbury's or Bate's? When was the present 'Argos' building constructed and what was there before that?

Offline sharmuk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:10:53 »
Rather than the single shop it is now the Argos building used to be two, Bates was on the left next to J Sainsbury. Bentalls took the Bates side but I can't remember if they took over the Sainsbury part too and merged it into one or if that was done later by Argos.
"He's the hairy handed gent who ran amuck in Kent"

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 21:31:16 »
Ref. Watts Place:

I've found a picture of the old Bates department store further along the High Street. The write-up says that they were moving in 1964 to their new premises, where Watts Place once stood.

Narrows it down a bit.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 21:07:18 »
Do you have any idea when Watts Place was demolished? I'm guessing 1960's maybe earlier.

Not sure I'm afraid. It was there in the 1955 Kellys but gone in the 1967 copy.

I'll try to find out.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 20:47:59 »
Hi Numanfan. :)

Do you have any idea when Watts Place was demolished? I'm guessing 1960's maybe earlier.

Cheers :)

AFS Rochester

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines