News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Watts Place/ Argos/Bates/Bentalls Dept Store Chatham  (Read 22463 times)

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
Re: Watts Place/ Argos/Bates/Bentalls Dept Store Chatham
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 14:04:32 »
Am trying to think when it closed, it was still there in the mid-80's. I did a YTS at Allders of Chatham in 1983-4, and they considered Bentalls their arch rivals. That was when the "Bentalls end" of the high street was considered high class. My how things change!!!
nostalgia's not what it used to be

jaj

Re: Watts Place/ Argos/Bates/Bentalls Dept Store Chatham
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 21:25:20 »
Sure do Chris.  I used to go in Bentalls Dept Store in Chatham back in the 1970's.  The site is now occupied by Argos.

Anyone remember this store ...

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
Watts Place/ Argos/Bates/Bentalls Dept Store Chatham
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 18:44:37 »
Anyone remember this store, or worked there? Started as Bates, and had a sister shop in Maidstone (also began with a B but can't remember the name). Later got taken over by Bentalls of Kingston and eventually closed down. The shop then turned into an Argos I think.
My father worked there in the goods inwards department, and had a few tales to tell - according to him, the TV comedy "Are You Being Served?" was a documentary. And yes, he had one of those brown overall coats.
When they closed down the hairdressing salon, he acquired loads of hairdryers, and subsequently sold them on at a boot fair. I suspect some of the other boot fair stuff we had may have found its way out the back of the shop. I know we had some odd furniture made from recycled shop fittings.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines