News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Old gun battery at Sandwich Bay?  (Read 16016 times)

nickm535i

Re: Old gun battery at Sandwich Bay?
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 04:55:44 »
According to my father in law, the guns were positioned on the site across the road from Kentlands at the Prince's Drive junction. There was a house situated there which belonged to the Slazengers. This was requisitioned by the Army for the siting of the guns and the guns shook it to pieces. 50 years ago there was more to see: I remember the foundations, the overgrown tennis court and garden. We used to play there, as well as in the big sand bunker next to the golf course, which has now been covered by Marram grass.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 22:53:49 »
A couple of sites give some details of the area.Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust (SBBOT) has a PDF map of some of it's reserves close by.Also the Lydden Valley Research Group provides a geological history of the area.I might send off for their study of the area.About a tenner i think.It seems a shingle spit gradually grew along the coast from Deal eventually cutting off the port of Sandwich from the sea here.I suppose the old battery sits on this shingle spit.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 20:14:42 »
That site had me puzzled for years, well done, now what about the WW2 battery at Sandwich bay.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 09:04:58 »
Thanks for that DS239, all becomes clear now given the origin of the name 'Shingle End' I was given. I'll amend the caption on the photo.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 22:14:08 »
Hi Everyone!

There seems to be some confusion creeping in here,whilst the cottages to the rear of the No.2 battery may well have been known as 'Pilot Cottages'..
'Shingle End',as shewn in the 1912 photo posted by Islesy,was also a coastguard station complete with cottages,BUT,it is an entirely different place,-it is a mile or so to the north of No.2 battery,-situated where the present-day clubhouse of the Princes' Golf Club stands..
The arrangement of buildings in the photo can be seen on old maps of the area.
See 1:2500 scale maps on www.old-maps.co.uk

Phil

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 17:47:43 »
Very nice photos of the battery islesy!I was going to see if i was up to a walk out there from Sandwich to take some photos but you beat me to it.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 15:06:32 »
Here's a picture from 1912 entitled "Sandwich Bay Wireless Station and Shingle End Cottages.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 22:16:06 »
No.2 Battery from the ground.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:29 »
The 1841 census show a  Josiah Dornford, Royal Navy, living at No2 Battery in the Parish of Worth.
He's on the list of British Coastguards.

Talking to the locals, the houses to the rear of No.2 Battery are referred to as the Pilot Cottages.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 21:30:26 »
The Richborough port came into being during ww1, but the idea was a scheme drawn up earlier, as the river was silting up a new cut out to deep water was planned, this scheme died a death, but during ww1 the drawings were looked at again, but it was decided with constant dredging the existing channel could be keep clear at alls states of tide.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 17:51:56 »
Very good investigative work there unfairytale:you must have spent a lot of time going through copies of that old paper.Do the local libraries have access to them. A most unfortunate accident indeed for Mr. Oxford!I thought a breach in the old seawall would be involved in the matter somewhere.As i mentioned earlier i did my little bit to get the stone blocks to Deal sidings for repairing the seawall.I think it came from Westbury on friday nights/saturday mornings and we held the traffic up a bit doing the shunting.The area where the battery was has been breached in the 20th Century as well i believe.All sorts of creeks and saltmarsh around there when the old Wantsum Channel existed i should think,and that English Channel wants to get back into them again.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 16:36:47 »
The Deal Walmer and Sandwich Telegram on 27 December 1862.
Sandown Castle has suffered severely, a new strongly built sea-wall being washed down, thus giving the sea a clear passage to the moat, which has been filled with water and rendered the Castle unfit for habitation'. . . The earth work raised as a barrier to protect the sand-Hills from the sea, has had a considerable breach made in it, submerging the Hills and laying all the marsh lands as far as Red House Wall to the north and Word to the west under water. . . . The wall to the eastward of No. 1 Battery is washed down, and the lower rooms inundated. This is also abandoned for the present as a resident station.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 16:34:18 »
Fatal Accident at No. 1 Battery, during Royal Artillery practice. 'The fragments of a shell passed over No. 1 Battery which is occupied by the coastguard, and one fragment unfortunately struck a man (John Oxford) on duty on the north side of the Battery, thereby causing his death. The inquest was heard at the Chequers.' The Deal Walmer and Sandwich Telegram 6 June 1860.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 07:10:34 »
Excellent find unfairytale!A very nice clear map which shows that my 1 inch to 4 miles Bartholomews map must be pretty accurate.I can see the Ancient Highway on your map which we're discussing in Ancient History.I reckon the seawall and golf course covered the battery nearest Sandown Castle.Also i believe that section of coast was prone to breaching by the sea before the seawall was strengthened.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 21:37:01 »
I've found them on a map. I can't believe I've had it all the time.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines