News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whitstable ROC Post?  (Read 7715 times)

stuart

Re: Whitstable ROC Post?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 00:02:33 »
Ive been speaking to my Dad over the weekend, and it turns out my Grandfather Ray Skinner was posted at a ROC post near Borstal Hill in Whitstable. Ive tried various searched for the post but it doesn't seem to exsit anymore. I get the feeling it might have been build over with the new houses in that area. Anybody have a ideas?

there are sum new house`s been build (with in the last 10 years) on Martindown Road and on that site there was a underground concrete structure, i all ways Thought  it was to do with a  water board.
but may be it was not. when they started to build on the site where was sum heavy demolition machinery on site.
i`m from whitstalbe and when i was a kid my dad and Nan said there used to be a anti aircraft battery on Borstal Hill. i`ve asked my dad this week about it and he said, he can remember concrete structures but thats it and i think people in WW2 whitstable used to think it was a anti aircraft battery.
i would love to find sum photo of the site
i am a fan of subbrit

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 11:02:46 »
Hi Mark.

Regarding the title of your exhibition, rather tongue in cheek, shouldn't it be "Forewarned is Forearmed".

Robin.

ex HQ No 1 Group ROC.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Timescapes

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 22:32:43 »
The post was set within the perimeter of RAF Whitstable CHL RADAR Station at Martindown Road off of Borstal Hill.

I have a number of photographs of the OP and staff. The material will be forming part of a new exhibition called 'Forearmed is Forewarned'.

Mark H

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 20:20:44 »
Liz, the pillbox at the top of Borstal Hill is this one.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3041.0

The ROC post near Dargate is the Blean one linked to above.

liz

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 16:19:21 »
hi again ,i just thought, theres one at dargate i know its not that close to borstal hill but it is just down the thanet way a little  maybe thats the one you are looking for :)

liz

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 16:10:19 »
hi, the only thing i can remember is up the very top of borstal hill just passed longreach roundabout stood a pillbox there may have been something eles there but i definatly remember  a pill box.but as the new thanet way has been built i cant see it.,,liz :)

PowerSurge

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:40 »
Thanks for all the info guys. I think Im going to have to do some more digging into my Grandfathers past. Ive only been able to find out about Blean and Herne Bay. Thanks again

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 17:46:27 »

merc

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 13:47:34 »
Hi Powersurge,
I can't find any other info on the Whitstable post, other than a brief mention that there was one.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 13:41:11 »
I cant find a Whitstable one?

There is one at Blean.

Or have a look on here :)   http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/index2.shtml
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

PowerSurge

Whitstable ROC Post?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:39:46 »
Ive been speaking to my Dad over the weekend, and it turns out my Grandfather Ray Skinner was posted at a ROC post near Borstal Hill in Whitstable. Ive tried various searched for the post but it doesn't seem to exsit anymore. I get the feeling it might have been build over with the new houses in that area. Anybody have a ideas?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines