News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sentenced to Death 3 Times  (Read 24377 times)

dizzymarsh

Re: Sentenced to Death 3 Times
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 23:30:24 »
Just found the Kent History Forum website. I was interested to find William Ransley and Mary Brett mentioned in the Sentenced to Death 3 Times Post as Mary Brett was my great great grandma Ellen Brett`s great aunt! I`d like to find out more about what happened to the poor woman. She does seem to have hung out with some choice company by all accounts!

grovesy

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 15:14:09 »
i used to live on the gallows site 37 heathfield road and very glad to throw some light on the subject, the prisoners were apparently convicted on the heath which was to the north and south of penenden heath road, they were then marched up the hill to the gallows which comprised of three trees, one of which still remains at the very top of the garden, it was huge then and looks no different today, our very elderly neighbours back in the late 60s mr and mrs kelly  gave us this information and if i remember correctly the other 2 trees were to the east ,but not to sure on that one. the bodies were then taken to woods next to the heath
 and buried in unmarked graves. i read in a book some time ago that at the turn of the last century the heath was enlarged to the area that it occupies today,and at the same time the clock next to the crosroads (roundabout today) was built, while this work was undertaken over 300 skeletons were found,which ties up with what our neighbour had told us. if they dug this many bodies one would assume there are still more burried, i think it would be interesting to explore this as well as trying to find out what happened to the other remainsand where they went to, and to try to date some of these bones. what is not clear from a map or driving around the area is the steepnes of the hill , when you stand next to the tree it is clear as to why the spot was chosen.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 21:34:24 »

Here is an 'uttering' case:

from July 1838 Dover Telegraph:
James KELLY, aged 27 yrs, at E.Kent Qtr Sessions charged with uttering counterfeit shillings at Sellinge. Given 12 months in House of Correction

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Jimbo

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 18:10:06 »
Interestingly, the last three that were hanged at Penenden heath for Arson were wrongly charged.

They were accused of setting light to a barn and found guilty accordingly.

The Farmer admitted doing it himself for insurance fraud many years later.

I wonder how many were wrongly executed?

seafordpete

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 13:33:19 »
seems from the lists several men were hung for UTTERING...what did they utter ?

This collar is a bit bloody tight......... :)

It is making and or using counterfeit coinage

heathman.

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 13:03:10 »
Having read the various threads on this subject I decided to go and have a look around and see what I could find! At the highest point in Heathfield road there is a stone marker post with the letter M on the top. I would say looking at the various maps that it could either be the point where the road originally finished or maybe represent the gallows site.It is located on the brow of the hill with a stone wall built on either side, opposite Silchester court. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

oldsunset

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 14:28:52 »
seems from the lists several men were hung for UTTERING...what did they utter ?

jaj

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 22:00:29 »
Jaj, I would love to live there with all that history, nice houses from what I can see as well. If you go there take some pictures and look for that Trig point will you, then I reckon you have discovered the site of the gallows!!!. I would go in the middle of the night and listen for a creaking rope!! :) good luck

Great work guys, curiosity has got the better of me and now I need to see it for myself: I'm gonna have nightmares though, especially about the 'creaking rope' thing.   :)

seafordpete

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 09:58:51 »
The trig point isn't shown on current maps, guess it went when the houses were built. 1948 on Old-maps shows it (with out height) but 1948 on where's  the path doesn't. Earlier Old-maps show height as well

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 09:42:21 »
If you look at my previous post (#4) seafordpete there are directions as to the new gallows as well. On the old maps site as I ststed there is a gallows wood and gallows hill at that site, I am suprised that Maidstone museum did not know of the  1804 map I listed and virtualy a precise position of the old gallows site. That trig point you found should not be too hard to find, maybe there is one of those arrows there, at the least it is at probably the highest point. I went passed there yesterday on the park and ride from Sittingbourne Road, the imaginatio ran riot and my wife got an earfull of history..I was very tempted to get off but the better half convinced me I should do it another day as she would never get that new frock! and she needed her carer (me) to say "how nice it looks" and "no, it make nothing look big" :)
Jaj, I would love to live there with all that history, nice houses from what I can see as well. If you go there take some pictures and look for that Trig point will you, then I reckon you have discovered the site of the gallows!!!. I would go in the middle of the night and listen for a creaking rope!! :) good luck

seafordpete

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 12:59:32 »
Just compared that map with those on Old-maps and the track eventually changes to a footpath and the gallows becomes a trig point  291ft

seafordpete

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:11 »
Hi Sheppey_bottles, looks right then as being on Gallows Hill. I'm sure there is a stone marker though on Penenden Heath either where Sandy La meets Heath Rd or near the Bull PH. Any able to have a nose about?

jaj

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 23:58:12 »
Thanks for the map sheppey_bottles.  Wonder if the residents of your approximation have any idea about the grounds on which their houses are built: Can't say I would be too comfortable if I was living on that site, but that's just me.  :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 22:34:16 »
A = gallows B= chiltern pub area, see previous posts of mine re the book this is in and the area which is roughly between where the road 'Roman Heights' is now and St Francis Close meets Heathfield Road. What are your thought on this?

seafordpete

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 15:59:28 »
Been in touch with friends at Maidstone Museum, the only knowledge they have of the gallows site  is "South of Heath Rd" so gallows Hill it must be (?) Surprised there are no old maps showing them

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines