News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Paul's Church, Chatham  (Read 26271 times)

Chatham boy

Re: St Paul's Church, Chatham
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 19:06:33 »
This has jogged a few memories! I was in St.Pauls' choir for several years in the early 60s. Harry Pocknall was choirmaster and organist. I think Spears was the Reverend then, another friendly nice guy. Wednesdays and Fridays were for practice, then morning and evening services on Sundays. Weddings on Saturdays were an extra treat when we even got pocket money!
They say we can all remember where we were when we heard that JFK had been assassinated. I was in choir practice - it was a Friday evening. 
It was a lovely old building. Attendance was already dwindling in the mid 60s so I'm not surprised that it was unsustainable. But demolish? Couldn't it have been extended/converted/incorporated into a new development? Another bit of history gone for ever.     

bobspree

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 10:47:50 »
I was a choir boy at St. Pauls for six years late 60's early 70's I have a photo of the choir with Mr. H. G. Pocknall as choirmaster. As a matter of interest, pictures and information can been found at All Saints church, Magpie Hall Road, Chatham, along with the organ and church contents.

Hi there

I was a choir boy at St Pauls from 1945 till 1949. I attended St. Pauls School and Mr Pocknall was Headmaster as well as the Church Organist.
He played at my wedding in 1960.

My family all lived at (the old) Regent Court and we all (6 of us) would love to see any photos you have of the school or of Mr Pocknall.

Bob Spree

Offline Jean

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 20:39:56 »
I remember St Paul's as shown in the 1910 photograph. I was Christened there in 1947 my grandfather has also been Christened there. I visited the Church many times over the years with my father. The atmosphere was lovely. Positioned quite close to the alter was a boiler that heated the building, this was  tended by an elderly caretaker. My memory is that the floor sloped down from the entrance to the alter. Is that correct?  This is one of those buildings in Chatham, along with the library, that should never have been demolished

heidi

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 21:28:46 »
In reply#13, would that tall chimney be part of one of the Best Breweries, this one I think was behind where Debenhams is today? just a thought. I'm sure I've seen the chimney on another pic in another thread.

The chimney looks about the same place the 4th Medway Scouts used to hold meetings (I was in the Scouts)

heidi

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 18:51:46 »
I was a choir boy at St. Pauls for six years late 60's early 70's I have a photo of the choir with Mr. H. G. Pocknall as choirmaster. As a matter of interest, pictures and information can been found at All Saints church, Magpie Hall Road, Chatham, along with the organ and church contents.

seb

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 14:31:49 »
I remember this church as my headteacher, Mrs Tasker, from Ordnance Street County High School used to take us there as her brother was vicar. Don't remember his name but would have been approximately 1958 to 1962. I was led to believe it was demolished because of subsidence. The same as St. Peter's church, Gravel Walk, Rochester.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:04 »
Thanks for the reminder SP, as my Grandchildren would say... "poor Nan, she forgets "  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

seafordpete

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 11:03:01 »
You're right Lyn L, it was discussed before and a brewery was settled on.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:57:37 »
In reply#13, would that tall chimney be part of one of the Best Breweries, this one I think was behind where Debenhams is today? just a thought. I'm sure I've seen the chimney on another pic in another thread.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 10:35:22 »
I found an old St. Paul's sunday school medal some time back and started a thread on it, see here..

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7285.msg58786#msg58786

Would anyone new on here have any knowledge of this or have one that was issued to their family in the past please? I would like to know if the medal is definitely from this Church.

Merry

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 20:55:23 »
Thank you for these photos - my great x 3 granny (Mother Banks) was married there in (I think) 1875 which could be around the time some of the images were taken.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 00:11:17 »
It's sad when old buildings have to go, but I imagine St Pauls was demolished because it suffered from lack of a congregation, another example of 'use it or lose it', just as we (including myself) shop at the out-of-town supermarket and then complain because all the High Street shops close.

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

flower411

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 09:49:54 »
It`s funny how seeing something like this jogs your memory !!

When the church first came down, the shops opposite were being used as an antiques centre with lots of traders had come together to combine resources. I think some of them had met up at the Hempstead Valley Flea market.

The old church site was used as parking for the traders and customers as far as I can remember.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 20:03:16 »
Sorry, not sure what the chimney is for. The 1907 map doesn't indicate anything.

Does anyone know what trade would need a chimney that big in the centre of town? Brewery? Mill?

Found some more info on the church; consecrated in 1855, it could hold 1,010 people (very exact,I'm not sure why they didn't say 'just over a thousand'.)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:32 »
Any idea what the tall chimney is?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines