News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Estate and Road Names  (Read 32089 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Estate and Road Names
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 17:36:51 »
There's a few roads off Albemarle Road, Lordswood with a horseracing connection namely Aintree, Kempton and Lambourn any ideas why?

Rochester-bred

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 13:49:40 »
Peterchall, thank you for that information, I always thought it a bit strange having a big drive in by that bus stop, now I know  :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:09 »
There were no naval quarters at Warren Wood, they have always been residential homes built in the 60s by the council and rented out after they pulled down the prefabs that were there, and before that just woodland.
As well as those named after cruisers, other road names on the estate have a nautical flavour – The Tideway, Pennant Road, Binnacle Road, Pilot Road.

Peterchall. I did not realise that Cookham Wood was a naval establishment but after doing a little bit of research I found that during the 2nd ww the  R.N. Signal School was moved there from Pembroke barracks and latter in 1950 closed down, It was next to the  Borstal for young male offenders.
It was a Nissen hutted site where the Cookham Wood Road complex is now, barely visible from the Maidstone Road due to trees. A bus service was provided by diverting alternate journeys of Chatham and District Traction Co’s Service 5 (Strand – Borstal), numbered Service 5A. The turning loop for the buses is still there, next to the petrol station opposite Sir Evelyn Road.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline scintilla

• Appreciation 17
    • Kenticisms
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 10:49:54 »
The talk of 'Fleet Estate' reminded me of the one in Dartford. Apparently that was named after a local family of brewers who originally owned the land. Algernon Fleet died in 1942. http://www.dartfordarchive.org.uk/20th_century/buildings_postwar.shtml
Looking at a map most of the roads seem to be named after dales - Swaledale, Teesdale, Lunedale etc.

I used to live on the estate between Frindsbury and Wainscott where the roads were named after Kent villages - Benenden, Frittenden, Rolvenden, Iden etc.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 08:49:30 »
Those roads are on Warren Wood Estate, off City Way, Rochester.

There were no naval quarters at Warren Wood, they have always been residential homes built in the 60s by the council and rented out after they pulled down the prefabs that were there, and before that just woodland.

peterchall. I did not realise that Cookham Wood was a naval establishment but after doing a little bit of research I found that during the 2nd WW, the R.N. Signal School was moved there from Pembroke barracks and latter in 1950 closed down. It was next to the  Borstal for young male offenders.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 20:02:58 »
I have no idea why they would all be named after cruisers, but I do know that no ships with those names were ever built at Chatham. They may have been Chatham-manned though.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 19:46:43 »
Apologies Peterchall, there are roads named after ships in Lordswood too. The roads you mentioned may have been named after ships because they too are former RN married quarters?
No apology needed. The estate is very near to the wartime Cookham Wood naval establishment, so you could be right. But I wonder why the ships named were all cruisers and if there's any significance in 3 of them (Ajax, Leander, and Orion) being the same class. Were they Chatham built?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 18:59:32 »
A couple of my Bird keeping friends used to live on the Tree estate in Dartford just off Lowfield street and Princes road. The Tree estate does what it says on the tin..every road is the name of a tree, Larch, Willow, Ash, Olive, Elm, Cedar etc.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 18:46:53 »
In Strood, Charles Roach Smith, archaeologist/historian, gave his three names to three streets off Cuxton Road - apparently he bought Temple Place on Cuxton Road as a retirement home. I always wonder what American visitors must think of Roach Street.
Is Temple Place now the Conservative Club?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 18:25:29 »
Melville Court flats were built in the 1960's as a civilian (council?) development on the site of the old Melville Barracks formerly Melville Hospital. It was never a married quarters estate although there may have been two or three quarters for senior officers of the establishment.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 18:13:19 »
Apologies Peterchall, there are roads named after ships in Lordswood too. The roads you mentioned may have been named after ships because they too are former RN married quarters? I do know that the Navy had married quarters estates dotted all over the Medway area, Melville Court in Brompton also used to be naval married quarters.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 18:08:06 »
Those roads are on Warren Wood Estate, off City Way, Rochester.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 18:05:11 »
They were chosen because that part of Lordswood was originally built as Royal Naval married quarters. I believe they were handed over to the local authority when the RN left Chatham.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 17:02:21 »
Arethusa, Ajax, Leander, Exeter, and Orion are all names of WW2 cruisers. I've no idea why those names were chosen - were they Chatham manned ships?

Rochester-bred

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 15:09:28 »
Does anyone know where the Warren Wood Estate road names come from?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines