News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Marine Station  (Read 44822 times)

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
Re: Dover Marine Station
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2015, 22:37:06 »
Trikeman   -

The old Customs Shed was demolished back in December/January in preparation for the redevelopment of Western Docks which has finally started.

The Customs Lookout [the green-domed building adjacent to the North Pier by the channel above Southern House in your photo] is safe at present, but may be resited when the area is re-developed.

Dover Marine has an assured future as it is now Cruise Terminal-1.

2015 could be the last year that the public will have access to the Prince of Wales Pier.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Re: Dover Marine Station - Another historical building demolished
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2015, 10:39:14 »
Well, I only took the previous pics of Dover Western docks a couple of months ago and when I flew over last week I was dismayed to see the the long cigar-shaped building (can't remember what it was for) had disappeared. Thank goodness Dover Marine Station building appears to be safe.
Nothing stays the same!
Keep taking pictures!
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2015, 14:21:58 »
Baggage transfer 18th August 1950.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2015, 14:19:34 »
The car sleeper train unloading 20th June 1956.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2015, 22:35:38 »
DOVER HARBOUR
Here are a couple of recent shots of surviving ex railway buildings at Dover - including Dover Marine and Dover Harbour Station [closed 1927]
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

clive standen

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2014, 13:09:44 »
Hello All from a new member.
I've joined as I was born and bred in Kent ( although I have been moved away for nearly 30 years) and worked on the railway at Ashford.

Sorry to continue an old thread but as I always understood it, from my time on the railway and also watching things at Tonbridge in the very early 70s....originally from 1959 ( via Chatham) and 1961 via Ashford,  the MLVs were at the back of the train from London...this was because the MLVs were shunted from the rear to Nos 1/2 roads on the quayside at Dover.

When these roads were dispensed with and concreted over  then the  MLVs were on the front as then they could then run forward onto the Admiralty  pier.

Folkestone Harbour trains always had the MLV  on the rear from London, due to reversal at Folkestone East, which then put the MLV at the front so it could run forward onto  the pier at Folkestone Harbour. I joined BR at Ashford towards the end of MLVs being used on boat trains but did work a few with them on...to both locations. I was in the freight link ( guards) at Ashford so we only got  boat trains when Dover couldn't cover the jobs.

Cheers
Clive

Just to help you on the way, I have a photo of MLV 68010 at DWD circa 1983 displaying 46 headcode which apparently is Victoria - Dover Western Docks via Herne Hill and Orpington; this would suggest it would be leading on its way out on the up to Victoria.

derekb

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 08:37:31 »
Hi Neil. Great to here from you (and yes, Fred was my father in law, I married Paula). Back to you, I remember the bikers but names fail me, one I remember was George and one died on the Folkestone Road up by the Hare and Hound's pub. He had a bike and side car Bob Sedan I think, perhaps you can enlighten me as to some of the other boys.

As for Bruce, he still lives in Dover, he is a retired prison officer. I will pass on your name to him and he can get in touch with you. Nice to hear from you, look forward to speaking again soon.
Derek.

neilyboy

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2013, 22:05:43 »
Hi Delboy, I am stuart the grant's brother. I remember you, I used to know your brother Bruce, we were classmates at St. Martin`s Primary School, in Mr. Baker's class. I remember he used to thump Mercy Simmond`s back and we always used to have a laugh about it, teachers were able to bash you one in those days. I know this is nothing to do with Dover marine station, but I had to ask. Also, when I was a teenager I became a Rocker, we used to go to the Maxton cafe, it was a fish and chip shop initially but a bloke called Fred took it over and welcomed the bikers as customers, He had a daughter, I forget Her name, but I think it was you who was seeing her and we always used to talk. I hope you will get back, I would love to know where Bruce is these days.  Neil Grant.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2013, 19:22:04 »
Hi derekb, if you haven`t already seen it, there is a picture of the tea wagon at reply 14 I posted. delboy.

derekb

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2013, 00:20:26 »
Well, thank you! My name is Derek Boustead and I do remember Bert Nieves from Archcliffe now you reminded me. Afraid the memory's not so good these days. I have a photo of the junction box taken by the press when it opened I will look it out and put it on here.

Were you in one of the local boxes before you went to the junction?  I used to go on board the ferry and buy belga cigarette's from the bar. About Peggies crossing, I used to buy tea from the wagon outside the station and used to have it with Pegg. He had tea making facilities but was always glad of a chat. That was on my messenger round.

Hope to hear again derek.

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 9
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2013, 21:22:45 »
Small world derekb. I well remember Burt Buckie, Ted Featherstone and Harry Jenner and his crew of platelayers. I also worked in the new Power box at Folkestone junction. You must recall Bert Neves at Archcliffe Box and Ivor Ainger at Hawksbury. Surprised of West London, or StuarttheGrant. Thanks for the memories derekb, by the way are you Deric Banks?
Stuart...

derekb

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2013, 16:59:08 »
To Stuartthegrant. I wonder if you left before I started as messenger boy to traffic assistant. Mr Dance was station master and Peter Strong was traffic assistant. My duty started at Southern House, sorting the mail and delivering it. Start at loco sheds, on to Dover Town, then to Archcliffe Box, back down over Peggy's Crossing, over to the station chief dock foreman's office and then to telegraph office, do the switchboard for one hour then back to T/as office to prepare tea for Mr dance and Peter Strong.
I found the chief dock foreman dead one morning in his office.
The canteen was one building down from our office and it was very good. I transferred from Dover marine to the Eastern Docks also as a messenger. Just the main terminal building in those day's and two ramps. After one year I transferred to Dover Marine signal box as box boy. Signalmen at that time were Bill Gibbs, Ted Featherstone and Bert Buckie was relief signal man. They were installing the third rail at that time. The platelayer was Harry Jenner, he was one of a team. My uncle Stan Hope was signalman at Archcliffe box and his mate was signalman at Abbotts Cliff Box. The other box was Hawkesbury Street.
 I was transferred to Folkestone Jnc., new push button box, it was like heaven after the Marine. I was there the day it opened, no more burnishing 120 levers or brass cleaning .

derekb

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 10:59:49 »
This is an interesting thread to me cos my first job from school was"Messenger Boy" based in the Traffic Assistants office.
 Dutys included colecting "Telegrams" from the switchboard (plat2?), then delivering them to the "Pursers office" on the Ferry.
On the operating front we took Trafic Notices Shunting yard returns ect. To and from the T.As office to the Signal cabins,Yard Foremen
Station Inspectors even the S&T department.
Needless to say I formed a strong bond with Dover Marine. I wonder on a diferent tack. if anybody recalls the following Guys....
  Stn Inspector Ernest Galloway. Retired reluctantly1950-60 ish.
 Perhaps Spcl A relief signalman - Bob (Jock) Grant. Jock retired as signalman, Hawksebury street junction allas I dont recall the date but steam had gone.
Well bed calls so I bid all Goodnight...

trainman

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 14:12:34 »
Does anybody have any photos of inside Dover loco shed? There was a huge clock near the foreman`s office, plus any shots of the drop pit area.
regards.  trainman

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 15:15:10 »
Interesting photos of the Marine Station, but things have changed a bit. The long covered passage way to the Marine Station and the Pier used to have a railings down the centre, marine passengers to the left and access to the pier on the right. These days one is not allowed to walk along the pier, it is considered dangerous, but not dangerous to anglers!!!

trainman

I think you can buy a 'Promenade Ticket' to walk along the pier but the guy at the gate just nodded me through when I went, warning me to 'take care'! I found it dangerous but that was just from dodging the lines being cast by the hundreds of anglers that were on the pier at that time. They were also a very 'rum lot', many of them seem to have been there all night drinking and, to put it delicately, I felt I was a stranger in my own country!  - made me feel very uneasy on my own!

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines