News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Marine Station  (Read 44815 times)

trainman

Re: Dover Marine Station
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 15:50:45 »
Hi friend, Peggy`s Crossing was named after a driver who lost his leg, they called him peggy and he got the job as crossing keeper, hence the name Peggy`s Crossing.
The marine area was a thriving place as far as residents go. All those houses in Beach Street, blocks of flats, 4 pubs, a paper shop, a cafe, even a bus service, and railway wise, 3 signal boxes and railway sidings everywhere. Even the Marine Station had a railway staff canteen. I looked at the situation a few years ago, it`s a sorry sight, progress in reverse, in fact on the subject of progress, I am an ex- Dover Fireman, railways have no ambience for me these days.
PS The channel tunnel people have made a very nice place to be at the Warren, the other side of Shakespear Tunnel.
Regards, trainman.

family refused to be evicted  because of the planned freeway

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 13:31:31 »
Thanks, Towerwill, I guess that when they built it they must have known that there would be a problem on that section. Must have looked nice though  :)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 11:01:38 »
Hi Far away! When my dad used to take me along the pier (early 1950's) there were round windows like a ship's porthole with very thick glass. This glass still got cracked by waves/shingle in very severe South West storms. So they were plated over at some time.
Presumably that was not a problem where the large windows are situated.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 09:46:50 »
On cliveh's pictures of the gantry walkway, most of the windows are large and square, but one section does not have any windows but instead has plated-over round apertures. Were these once windows as well?

trainman

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2012, 19:40:52 »
Interesting photos of the Marine Station, but things have changed a bit. The long covered passage way to the Marine Station and the Pier used to have a railings down the centre, marine passengers to the left and access to the pier on the right. These days one is not allowed to walk along the pier, it is considered dangerous, but not dangerous to anglers!!!

Boat train locos used to uncouple and proceed out the back of the station, then proceed back along 7 or 8 road and go around the corner to the loco shed, this movement was not needed with electrics so 3-4-5-6 were bricked up and became dead-end roads. These days it`s just a dead station but still looks majestic, and I wonder if the war memorial is still at the end of 3 and 4 road.
  trainman

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:06 »
Under the canopy, cliveh, on the end of plat 3/4 is where they put the new British Transport Police office. delboy.

Noted delboy - thanks

cliveh

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 17:05:06 »
Under the canopy, cliveh, on the end of plat 3/4 is where they put the new British Transport Police office. delboy.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:45 »
A view from the 1960's:

cliveh

Offline ferriesdover

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 11:09:34 »
Morning,
Have just caught up with your additional posts.
Thank you very much for posting.
Any other information on the MLVs' Workings, @ the Western Docks, would be most helpful.
Thanks Again

Regards....dt....
Regards......dt.....

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 18:27:12 »
cliveh, this building was Transit Shed "A" for rail traffic . The trucks were shunted into the shed at the left hand end of the building, 2 roads. The raised  walkway you can see was an outside platform for the 3rd road. The rail part of the shed is not in view, only the storage and office part is visible. All that concrete was rail sidings up to the edge of the car road. On the walls by the wooden sliding doors there were instructions i.e; walking wounded, stretcher  cases etc. This was from the Dunkirk evacuation and as far as I know they are still visible. The lock up we had inside for red star parcels etc had "Mortuary" on the wall. If you look at the plan ,what is marked as Customs Hall was the original car hall and passenger hall for the train ferry. The Car Hall on the plan was opened as there wasn,t enough room to carry out proper car examinations in the old hall,  delboy

Thanks very much delboy. Its good to be able to label a photo correctly.  :)

cliveh

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 17:26:05 »
cliveh, this building was Transit Shed "A" for rail traffic . The trucks were shunted into the shed at the left hand end of the building, 2 roads. The raised  walkway you can see was an outside platform for the 3rd road. The rail part of the shed is not in view, only the storage and office part is visible. All that concrete was rail sidings up to the edge of the car road. On the walls by the wooden sliding doors there were instructions i.e; walking wounded, stretcher  cases etc. This was from the Dunkirk evacuation and as far as I know they are still visible. The lock up we had inside for red star parcels etc had "Mortuary" on the wall. If you look at the plan ,what is marked as Customs Hall was the original car hall and passenger hall for the train ferry. The Car Hall on the plan was opened as there wasn,t enough room to carry out proper car examinations in the old hall,  delboy

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 15:58:51 »
Was this building once the 'Motor Car Examination Hall' as shown on delboy's 1950's plan earlier in the thread?

cliveh

Geoff B

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 15:33:06 »
The MLV  would be detached at Dover and we used to push a button and put it on battery and it went up the Quayside and then reconnected to the train later for departure.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 09:34:23 »
A few photos of how the station looks now:

cliveh

Offline ferriesdover

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 13:33:32 »
Hello,
Thank you both for postings above,that's the kind of thing I require.
Regards..
             ..dt...
Regards......dt.....

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines