News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Marine Station  (Read 47123 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Dover Marine Station
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:37 »
When i was carriage cleaning in the the early 1970's at the Marine Station and on nights i can recall being asked by the supervisor to go and cover the crossing where a road went over the railtracks near the train ferry dock.I think this involved raising and lowering two barriers as required.Loading and unloading of the ferry was very interesting to watch.Another time i can recall as a train guard was being on the rear of the night ferry train as it was being pushed back into the station.One had to keep a sharp lookout that the dummies(ground signals)were off(OK to pass)and signal to the driver with a lamp.Another job the shunters and guards often had to do was to be in the leading cab as electric trains were pushed out of the carriage shed and around the corner towards Folkestone.The driver would then take the train into the Station.While pushing back there was a crossing(Peggy's Crossing)to watch out for and then the points were usually set to go into a siding at the Town Yard.As this could be entered from both ends i've had to apply the brakes on more than one occasion on seeing another train ahead.I've also had to stop the driver with the cab to cab signal,get down and pull some points over and then get back into the cab and give 3 bells to the driver to set back again.In those days 12 car boat trains were the norm and non corridor stock was often in use on the Chatham line.Someone realised that if there was an emergency in Shakespeare tunnel,which has single track tunnels,the passengers on non corridor stock wouldn't have been able to get out of a stopped train.On corridor stock an emergency exit could be made from the vestible doors at each end.They were very lucky when running non corridor stock on the South Eastern line out of Dover in earlier times that nothing happened in that tunnel.I expect the old coaches were made of wood above the metal frames and lit by gas or oil lamps though i haven't studied the history of railway carriages used by the  South Eastern Company etc.    

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 22:54:28 »
The end of an episode of Steptoe and Son was filmed here.

andy peal

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:05 »
thats a great picture islesy,i remember that station for one reason i met david bowie there in the mid 70s when he passed throu dover alot,as he hated flying

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Dover Marine Station
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 20:09:25 »
The Dover Marine Station Walkway:

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines