News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kemsley Castle. Nr Sittingbourne  (Read 7334 times)

Offline aveling

• Appreciation 1
Re: Kemsley Castle. Nr Sittingbourne
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 17:03:44 »
Castle Rough is now covered in scrub and is difficult to see, but is still there below the embankment which forms DS Smith's car park.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:52:44 »
Found this really interesting HERB COLLECTOR.  I'd never heard of this before.  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 22:08:22 »
Castle Rough, Kemsley Down, Kent. Protected scheduled monument. OS map grid reference TO91846597.

Built on slightly rising ground just where the marsh joins the higher ground. A square island 45 metres x 43 metres , surrounded by a moat 6-8 metres wide.
The island is built up by the material dug from the moat and slopes gently from north-west to south-east.

"Then soon after this Haesten came with eighty ships into the mouth of the Thames, and made himself a fort at Royal Milton and the other host at Appledore."
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

Edward Hasted, writing in 1798, refers to Castle Rough as the fortress erected by Haesten in 893 AD.
"This fortress was erected at a place called Kemsleydowne, in the marshes about midway between the town and the mouth of the creek. The scite of which is still visible, and being overgrown with wood and bushes, has obtained the name of Castberough. It is of square form and is surrounded by a high bank thrown up, and a broad ditch. There is a raised causeway very plainly to be seen, leading from it towards the seashore.
The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, vol 6 page 163.
The high bank and the causeway no longer exist.

A limited excavation by the Sittingbourne and Swale Archaeological Research Group suggests that Castle Rough is a medieval moated manor built between 1250 and 1350. Mesolithic flint scrapers and flakes, together with shards of Roman-British pottery were found in the material used to build up the island.

The site of Haesten's fort remains to be discovered.

Refs. Click for link.
Castle Rough-Kemsley Down Milton Regis-revisited. Article by R Risbridger.
The Castle Rough Training Project-1972. The Sittingbourne and Swale Archaeological Group.
Castle Rough, Sittingbourne.

Don't Let the Devil Ride Chris and Abby

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:52:02 »
There is a Baynard's Castle in London, and anyway it was close enough  :)

Odd how OS maps do not show any remains, just the remains of a church.

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:25:55 »
I knew Baynard wasn't right-relying on memory and couldn't refind the reference.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 19:58:50 »
Just found this:

An earthwork known as Castle Rough, in the marshes below Milton, was probably the work of Hasten the Dane in 892, and Bayford Castle, a mile distant, occupies the site of one said to have been built in opposition by King Alfred.

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 19:14:03 »
Maybe, the other one I found I've seen no mention of was Baynards Castle across the creek.

Merv

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 14:29:31 »
Thing is Pete, I think they have the wrong area, near but not near enough from recollections of hand downs.
I worked there on and off for a period of 12 years, Construction.
I worked first on the reconstruction of Number 6 machine which became the New Thames Mill when complete.
And many shutdowns thoughout my time there.
The current Steam Bunkers between Kemsley and Sittingbourne light railway I laid the new roofs.
We had to push Bogeys along the rail track load with Concrete to complete it and had to nail down everything due to light fingered neighbours. :)

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:07 »
Hi Merv, my memories of it are much like yours ( I left the mill in 1970), from old OS maps it looks south of the canteen and just W of the railway. We used to wander about that area lunchtimes but never found anything

Merv

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:43:19 »

Merv

Kemsley Castle. Nr Sittingbourne
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 00:04:08 »
When I worked at the mill in the 70's there was often talk of a supposed Castle there.
Every so often some group would turn up and try to excavate to find it.
Not seeing it mentioned I thought I would raise it.
For the record it was said to have been under what was Bowater Canteen at the time.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines